(HR) People Manager
1stdibs is the world’s largest online luxury marketplace for one-of-a-kind products. It has become the go-to source for the world's leading interior designers and consumers to find antiques, vintage furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion, and fine art.
Backed by Benchmark Capital, Index Ventures, Spark Capital, and Alibaba Group 1stdibs is a unique blend of expert curators and seasoned Internet executives from companies including eBay, Gilt, Google, FreshDirect, Mlb.com, and Twitter.
We’re seeking a People Manager who will develop trusted relationships with our leadership team, support them as they develop their teams, and lead critical people initiatives such as learning and development, employee engagement and diversity and inclusion. A successful manager will also ensure the core functions of HR -- on-boarding and off-boarding, benefits administration, legal compliance -- are airtight.
On the core HR side, you’ll be responsible for liaising with our benefits broker and be the in-house expert on benefits, wellness, and perks programs. In addition, you will bring a deep understanding with HR regulations at the local, state, and federal levels, and you will act as our point-person for proactive compliance adherence.
This is an integral role on our People team, which strives to create a work environment where people are challenged to grow and develop their talents, feel a sense of belonging and mission, and are surrounded by other high-performing and diverse colleagues. You’ll report to the Director of People.
What you’ll do
- Be the business partner to leaders on issues of organizational design, compensation, change management, and employee relations.
- Assist with succession planning; proactively identifying next-generation leaders
- Provide managers with 1:1 or group training/coaching and other resources to help them become better leaders
- Act as a mediator, available for informal or formal mediation discussions
- Provide guidance / coaching to employees in regard to general employee relations matters, including career development and managing workplace conflicts.
- Assess employee engagement on a proactive, ongoing basis; identify and address opportunities to improve engagement
- Educate employees and managers on business-critical legal, policy, and HR related processes to create clarity and alignment
- Liaise with our benefits broker and manage the full spectrum of benefits administration needs, including renewals, open enrollment, audits and discrimination testing
- Ensure compliance regarding all employment practices: selection processes, I-9 reporting, e-verify, record keeping, EEOC compliance and reporting, and file management
- Evaluate procedures and technology solution to improve human resources data management
- Use metrics to track and communicate HR performance to business and HR leaders
- Continuously improve our People team processes, and get involved in other activities as agreed to, in collaboration with the team.
What you’ll bring
- A strong track record of intellectual curiosity and business impact. Examples of this can include change initiatives you championed or insights you shared that led to a change in how the People Team functioned
- Generalist HR or business partner experience at a fast-moving, demanding workplace. Experience in an ambiguous, lean environment (like a start-up) is a significant differentiator.
- Deep experience in benefits administration, including open enrollment and renewals, and strong working knowledge of local, state, and federal employment regulations. This is a must-have for this role.
- Superb communication skills -- written, verbal and especially active listening. You must be able to write clearly and persuasively. A cover letter is required for this application.
- Gravitas and professionalism that make people turn to you for counsel and support. A successful manager will be approachable, relatable, and deeply trustworthy. S/he will also demonstrate strong judgment, diplomacy, and empathy.
- Full ownership of initiatives and strong work ethic. Our success relies on the contributions of others, but ultimately, it’s up to us to make things happen. No detail is too small, and the work isn’t over until it’s done.
- Ability to be both a do-er AND a strategizer. The manager must be able to think long-term and plan at a systems level while delivering day-to-day. S/he must be highly efficient, able to prioritize and tackle the most meaningful issues, and progress multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong analytical skills. Be comfortable translating metrics and data into people strategy.
- Customer Service Specialist
- Dealer Relations Intern
- Director of Marketing (Trade)
- Finance Analyst
- Head of Customer Experience, Trade
- (HR) People Manager
- Java Software Engineer
- Lead UX Researcher
- New & Custom Concierge
- Private Client Services, Senior Sales Associate
- Product Design Intern
- Product Manager - Growth
- Product Manager - Seller Experience
- Product Marketing Manager
- Sales Operations Manager
- Senior Customer Support Specialist - (German Speaking)
- Senior Manager, Growth and Product Marketing
- Senior UX Designer
- Sr. Account Executive, Trade
- Team Lead, International Logistics
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Weekly Catered Lunches
- Full Benefits & 401(k)
- Paid Family Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Wellness Classes