Peruvian, Cuzco School  Figurative Painting - Christ of the Earthquakes (Señor de los Temblores)
Want more images?
Request additional images from the seller
1 of 5 images

Peruvian, Cuzco School
Christ of the Earthquakes (Señor de los Temblores)

About

Provenance: Private Collection, Connecticut. This intriguing painting depicts the central cult image of the city of Cuzco and one of the most highly venerated images in all of Peru: the Christ of the Earthquakes. Known in Spanish as the Señor de los Temblores and in native Quechua as the Taitacha Temblores, the Christ of the Earthquakes is a sculpted crucifix in the cathedral in Cuzco that was credited with miraculously calming the tremors of the catastrophic earthquake that devastated the city on 31 March 1650. During the earthquake, the Vicar General of Cuzco Vasco de Contreras y Valverde (1605-1667) instructed the clergy of the cathedral to parade the crucifix through the streets of the city. The sculpture was credited with bringing the earthquake to an end, saving the city from further destruction. Its fame as a miracle-working image quickly spread in Cuzco and in the surrounding mountainous area, and it is still revered to this day. In a tradition that stretches back to the 17th century, on the first day of Holy Week the Christ of the Earthquakes is decorated with bright red ñukchu flowers (symbolizing the blood of Christ) and is carried out of the cathedral on a silver anda, a portable dais. The crucifix is carried through the city until nightfall, accompanied by Quechua singers (known as chaynas or jilgueros) and the countless worshippers who fill the streets in celebration. According to popular tradition, the Christ of the Earthquakes was sent to Cuzco as a gift from Charles V (1500-1558), Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain. However, recent study has shown that the sculpture was made in the latter part of the 16th century using indigenous techniques and materials. Rather than being carved from wood—the traditional medium for sculptures of this kind and scale—the crucified Christ is made of maguey, an agave plant. The sculpture is also closely related in style and manufacture to the Señor de la Vera Cruz (Christ of the True Cross) in the church of San Francisco in Potosi, Bolivia, which was produced by Spanish colonial artists in the 16th century. The sculpture has darkened from the buildup of soot and grime from the candles that have burned in front of it over several centuries. Despite its American origins, in terms of its iconography, the Christ of the Earthquakes is rooted firmly in the Spanish visual tradition. This image of Christ on the cross is thought to be based on the famous Señor de Burgos (Christ of Burgos) in the cathedral of Burgos, Spain. The Señor de Burgos was already well-known in medieval times as a miracle-working object and was visited by pilgrims and venerated by a local cult. Images of the Señor de Burgos circulated in the 17th century in engravings and in paintings by Mateo Cerezo (ca. 1610-1670) and other artists in his circle, which bear a striking resemblance to later painted depictions of the Christ of the Earthquakes. It is possible that an engraving or painting of the Señor de Burgos may have provided source materials for the artists that sculpted the Christ of the Earthquakes, as well as for the artists that painted images after the sculpture, such as this one. The present painting dates from the 18th century and follows the most common compositional format for depictions of the Christ of Earthquakes. The image of the sculpted crucifix appears against a dark background as if on its altar in the cathedral. Christ is flanked by four lit candles tied with brightly colored bows to catch the dripping wax, as well as four glass vases filled with bouquets of flowers—votive offerings possibly representing the ñukchu flowers still used to decorate the crucifix today. Both the candles and the flowers are recurring features in paintings of this type, which present the crucifix as the object of public devotion. Also typical are the silver finials that embellish the arms of the wooden cross, the stylized silver nails in Christ’s hands and feet, and Christ’s long skirt decorated with lacework. This skirt is one of the signature attributes of the Christ of the Earthquakes. Skirts of this kind were first introduced in Spain by the Council of Trent as a more modest alternative to the loincloth traditionally worn by Christ in representations of the crucifixion. The Christ of the Earthquakes’ lace skirt is thought to be modelled on the one worn by the Señor de Burgos. Pictorial representations of the Christ of the Earthquakes began to appear in Cuzco shortly after the earthquake of 1650. Interestingly, one of the first painted views of a South American city, the monumental canvas depicting the destruction of Cuzco by the 1650 earthquake, shows the Christ of the Earthquakes in the city’s main square, the Plaza de Armas, with a crowd of clergy and laymen praying for Christ’s intercession. The numerous surviving paintings of the Christ of the Earthquakes in Peru allow us to trace the typological development of these works over the centuries. Although the crucifix sometimes appears in a narrative context or flanked by other holy figures—forming a kind of Calvary scene—the most frequent pictorial type is the one employed here: the crucifix stands alone on the altar and emerges dramatically from the dark ground through the illuminating effect of the candlelight. The author of this composition is unknown. However, the consistency in size, format, and style of the paintings of this type produced in the 18th century suggests that these works were produced by a small circle of artists, possibly in one workshop, or derived from one or a few similar paintings. Other notable examples of this composition include those in the collections of the Banco Industrial in Lima and the Banco de Crédito del Peru in Lima. The proliferation of this specific painted type of the miraculous crucifix in the 18th century may be connected to the outbreaks of the plague that devastated Cuzco in 1720 and 1726. During the latter wave of the epidemic, the Christ of the Earthquakes—also invoked as a protector against the plague—was moved from its side chapel into the nave of the cathedral for nine days and then processed to the monastery of Santa Catalina, where it remained another nine days. Following a pattern frequently observed in the history of European art, paintings made after miraculous works were thought to be invested with the same powers as or to serve as proxies for the original miracle-working image that they depicted. It is no surprise that paintings of the city’s protector such as this one, endowed with the spiritual power of the sculpture in the cathedral, eventually came to be found in churches and private homes throughout Cuzco and its environs.

Details

  • Artist
    Peruvian, Cuzco School (1800 - 1900)
  • Medium
  • Dimensions
    H 48 in. x W 29 in.H 121.92 cm x W 73.66 cm
  • Gallery Location
    New York, NY
  • Reference Number
    LU1024578271
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more

Shipping, Returns & Payment

  • Shipping
    Rates vary by destination and complexity
    Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.
    Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
  • Return Policy

    This item cannot be returned.

    View details
  • Online Payment Methods
    1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
  • Item Invoice
    Generate an invoice that you can customize and print.

About the Seller

No Reviews Yet
Vetted
Recognized
1stdibs seller since 2012
Located in New York, NY
More From This Seller
Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (Our Lady of Solitude)
Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (Our Lady of Solit...
Peruvian, Cuzco School
18th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Canvas, Oil
Provenance: Private Collection, New York (ca. 1950- until 2012) This unusual depiction of the Virgin Mary at prayer follows a specific icono-graphical type known as Nuestra Señora d...
David with the Head of Goliath
David with the Head of Goliath
Pietro Dandini
18th Century and Earlier Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Canvas, Oil
Provenance: Private Collection, Santa Fe, NM The figure of David was, as is well known, particularly popular in the city of Florence during the Renaissance period. Numerous paint...
An Architectural Capriccio with the Preaching of an Apostle
An Architectural Capriccio with the Preaching o...
Giovanni Paolo Panini
18th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Canvas, Oil
Provenance: Santambrogio Antichità, Milan; sold, 2007 to: Filippo Pernisa, Milan; by whom sold, 2010, to: Private Collection, Melide, Switzerland De Primi Fine Art, Lugano, S...
Holy Family with the Infant St. John the Baptist
Holy Family with the Infant St. John the Baptist
Lubin Baugin
17th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Canvas, Oil
Provenance: Marcello and Carlo Sestieri, Rome, August 1967, where acquired by Robert L. and Bertina Suida Manning, New York, 1967-1996. Private Collection, USA. This previously un...
You May Also Like
17th Century Oil on Panel - The Crucifixion
17th Century Oil on Panel - The Crucifixion
Unknown
17th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
The Crucifixion French School, 17th century oil on wood panel, framed framed size: 17.5 x 12.5 inches provenance: private collection, Paris Condition report: the painting is basic...
The Madonna and Child with St. Peter and John the Baptist
The Madonna and Child with St. Peter and John t...
Domenico De Michelino
15th Century and Earlier Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
Domenico De Michelino (Florence, 1417-1491) The Madonna and child with St. Peter and John the Baptist Oil on panel, in a carved and gilded tabernacle frame (19th century) 21.3/4 x 14...
Circle of Jan Siberechts (1627-1703) - Peasant couple in a wooded landscape
Circle of Jan Siberechts (1627-1703) - Peasant ...
Jan Siberechts
17th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
Circle of Jan Siberechts (Flemish 1627-1703) "Peasant couple in a wooded landscape". Jan Siberechts was born in Antwerp, the son of a sculptor of the same name. He trained in Antwer...
The Madonna of the Basket
The Madonna of the Basket
Unknown
17th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
Italian School, 17th century, oil on panel, with wax seal on reverse "DIEU ET MON PAYS/IM" ("God and My Country"), copy of Correggio's "The Madonna of the Basket" in the National Gal...
Smokers in a Tavern
Smokers in a Tavern
David Teniers the Younger
17th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
Attributed to David Teniers the Younger, oil on cradled oak panel
Pair of 18th century Italian landscape paintings - Flemish, oil on panel, Italy
Pair of 18th century Italian landscape painting...
Paulus Constantijn La Fargue
Mid-18th Century Old Masters Landscape Paintings
Oil, Wood Panel
Paulus Constantin La Fargue (The Hague 1729 - The Hague 1782) - "Mountain landscape with boat" and "Mountain landscape with fishermen". 22.5 x 30 cm without frame, 32 x 39.5 cm with...
Madonna & Child
Madonna & Child
Workshop of Bernardino Lanino
16th Century Old Masters Figurative Paintings
Oil, Panel
Oil on panel. This piece is not currently framed but a suitable frame can be sourced if required. Bernardino Lanino was a pupil of Gaudenzio Ferrari, whose style he assimilated so c...
Moonlit Landscape - 17th Century Oil, River & Trees at Night by A Van Der Neer
Moonlit Landscape - 17th Century Oil, River & T...
Aert Van Der Neer
17th Century Old Masters Landscape Paintings
Oil, Panel
A large breathtaking 17th century Old Master painting by Aart van der Neer. This oil on panel is an outstanding example of his work depicting moonlight over the water. Wonderful deta...

Why Shop on 1stdibs?

Learn More

Only Vetted, Professional Sellers

Buyer Protection Guaranteed

Fully Insured Global Deliveries