Soren Emil CarlsenMarsh Landscape
This exceptional serene marsh landscape, probably on Long Island Sound, NY, was painted by Dutch artist Emil Soren Carlsen (1848-1932). Carlsen was born in Copenhagen, Denmark. He studied architecture at the Danish Royal Academy before emigrating to Chicago at age 19. He worked as an architectural draughtsman, and then traveled in Europe to study the Old Masters and also enrolled at the Academie Julian in Paris. Returning to Chicago, he taught at the newly formed Chicago Art Institute, and this activity was followed by periods of living in Boston and New York, but in 1887, he moved to San Francisco to be Director of the California School of Design. There he introduced his students to the work of his New York associates including Augustus Saint-Gaudens, J Alden Weir, and John LaFarge. A painter of still lives as well as landscapes, Emil Carlsen was especially noted for his still lives of humble everyday objects in the tradition of 17th-century Dutch painters. His methods were precise and labor intensive with much scraping, painting, and then scraping again with a build up of impastos. He perceived art as pure aesthetics with its only language being color, masses, and rhythms of line. Oil on canvas, signed lower left, titled Marsh Landscape, on two verso gallery labels (St. Louis Art Museum and William Varieka Fine Arts Ltd ), and housed in a spectacular period gessoed giltwood frame. Dimensions: 31 in h x 36 in w, actual; 45 in h x 50 in w, framed.
- ArtistSoren Emil Carlsen (1853-1932, American)
- Movement & Style
- Condition DetailsGood to excellent overall condition, with some minor imperfections and frame losses. Please contact us for a full condition report before purchasing.
- DimensionsH 45 in. x W 50 in. x D 3.75 in.H 114.3 cm x W 127 cm x D 9.53 cm
- Gallery LocationMilford, NH
- Reference NumberLU93132865643
- Seller Reference Number5636
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with the seller on your behalf to ensure you're satisfied with the resolution. Read more
Delivery, Returns & Payment
- DeliveryRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 1 day of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2018
Located in Milford, NH
More From This Seller
Mount Desert Island, Maine, 1914
You May Also Like
Field with Two Farmers
Carl Peter Burnitz