Items Similar to Scarlett in Gold, American Impressionist Female Portrait in Nature, 1920
- Design Credit: Samantha Todhunter Design Ltd., Photo Credit: Oliver Clarke. Dimensions: H 38 in. x W 28 in.
- Design Credit: Lucy Harris Studio, Photo Credit: Francesco Bertocci. Dimensions: H 38 in. x W 28 in.
- Design Credit: Timothy Godbold, Photo Credit: Karl Simone. Dimensions: H 38 in. x W 28 in.
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 7
Charles Courtney CurranScarlett in Gold, American Impressionist Female Portrait in Nature, 1920
"Scarlett in Gold" is an American Impressionist portrait of a female figure in nature with pine trees. It is a 30" x 20.25" oil on canvas portrait and framed in a stunning gold, ornate period frame, supporting the elegance of the woman in a red dress. The painting is signed and dated "Charles C. Curran, N.A. 1920" in the lower right. Provenance: Private Collection, Medical Institution, Pennsylvania Charles Courtney Curran (New York / 1861-1942) An Impressionist figure, genre, and landscape painter, Charles Curran is known as a prolific artist who created light-filled paintings, often of young women. Curran was born in 1861, in Hartford, Kentucky, but in 1881 moved to Sandusky, Ohio. After studying one year at the Cincinnati School of Design, he began a distinguished career when he moved to New York City in 1882 and enrolled in the National Academy of Design. There he studied under Walter Satterlee. At age 23, he had his first public exhibition at the Academy and won numerous prizes from that time onward. Five years later he received the Academy's Third Hallgarten Prize for A Breezy Day. Following his training at the National Academy, he became a student at the Art Students' League. He then studied at the Academie Julian in Paris from 1889 to 1891. The French artist Jules Bastien-Lepage was a source of inspiration for Curran with his paintings of peasants as a common subject matter. From 1887 to 1935, he exhibited regularly at the Pennsylvania Academy. In 1903, artist Frederick Dellenbaugh invited Curran to Cragsmoor, an art center in the Hudson River Valley near Ellenville, New York. In 1910, Curran moved into a house there and established a studio. At this time, he turned to the themes and Impressionist style that would occupy most of the remaining 30 years of his life: young women in bright sunlight. His female subjects are often elegantly dressed, posed, and feminine, with uncomplicated and dreamy gazes. Curran later included flowered backgrounds in his paintings, a theme to last the remainder of his career. He occasionally painted portraits and landscapes, as well as a series of views of the Imperial Temples of Peking. Curran was a leader of the Cragsmoor Art Colony, and often taught art and painting. He was a member of the American Watercolor Society, the National Arts Club, the Salmagundi Club, and the Society of American Artists. His works can be seen in collections at the Columbus Museum of Art in Ohio, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and the Toledo Museum of Art in Ohio. He died in 1942.
- CreatorCharles Courtney Curran (1861-1942, American)
- Creation Year1920
- DimensionsHeight: 38 in (96.52 cm)Width: 28 in (71.12 cm)Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm)
- Movement & Style
- ConditionThe painting has been cleaned an varnished, the frame is in excellent condition. Additional shipping options available upon request.
- Gallery LocationDoylestown, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU140226502792
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Doylestown, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Doylestown, PA
These expertly vetted sellers are highly rated and consistently exceed customer expectations.
Established in 2000
1stDibs seller since 2020
36 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This SellerView All
- Self Portrait, Expressionist Figurative Portrait by Black ArtistBy Bernard HarmonLocated in Doylestown, PA"Self Portrait" is a painting by Philadelphia born Expressionist painter Bernard Harmon. The 47" x 28.5" oil on canvas portrait features Harmon at a young age of about 25 years old. ...Category
1960s Expressionist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
- Lunar Encounter with Child, Surrealist Portrait, Oil on Canvas, 1958, FramedBy Leon KellyLocated in Doylestown, PA"Lunar Encounter with Child" by Philadelphia born modernist painter Leon Kelly, is a large, brightly colored surrealist portrait of two figures. The 40" x 30" oil on canvas was paint...Category
1950s Surrealist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
Canvas, Oil$48,750 Sale Price25% Off
- Seated Figure, American Modernist and Southwestern Art, Female Artist, 1940'sLocated in Doylestown, PA"Seated Figure" is a 30 x 25 inches, oil on canvas painting by American modernist, female artist Peter Miller. The work is painted in a muted color palette with intense color highlig...Category
1940s American Modern Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Portrait of Arthur Carles by Pennsylvania Female Modernist ArtistLocated in Doylestown, PA"Portrait of Arthur Carles" by Pennsylvania painter Mary Bean Rogers is a 24 x 22 1/4 inches oil on canvas painting, signed by the artist on verso "M Bean". It is framed in a contemp...Category
Mid-20th Century American Modern Portrait PaintingsMaterials
- Modern Man, Expressionist Portrait in Red, White, and Blue by Black ArtistBy Bernard HarmonLocated in Doylestown, PA"Modern Man" is a painting by Philadelphia born Expressionist painter Bernard Harmon. The 40" x 36" oil on canvas portrait features a young African American man posing casually and s...Category
1970s Expressionist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
- Portrait of a Lady, Oil on Canvas, 1840's, In Style of Jacob EichholtzLocated in Doylestown, PAThis interior portrait of a woman dressed in an elegant lace shawl is a 30" x 25" oil on canvas painting in the style of Jacob Eichholtz. The artist is unknown but the painting is be...Category
Mid-19th Century American Realist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
Canvas, Oil$1,440 Sale Price20% Off
You May Also Like
- At Doug's PlaceBy Lu HaskewLocated in Loveland, COAt Doug's Place by Lu Haskew Oil 12x10" image size Plein Air artists sit by a river discussing on break from the day of painting. ABOUT THE ARTIST: Lu considered it a must to work...Category
Early 2000s American Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Take Me HomeBy Lu HaskewLocated in Loveland, CO"Take me Home" by Lu Haskew Oil 19x16" framed, 12x8" image size Signed lower left A young child very apparently ready to go home from their intense yet cute look. The child is weari...Category
Early 2000s American Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
Oil, Canvas$300 Sale Price62% Off
- "The Searching," Oil paintingBy Hollis DunlapLocated in Denver, COHollis Dunlap's (US based) "The Searching" is an original, handmade oil painting that depicts a blonde woman reclining, in her black slip, into blue and warm hued fabric. Artist Bi...Category
2010s American Impressionist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
- The Dance, Baroque Art, Fictional Portraits, Oil, One-of-a-Kind, IlluminateBy Ray DonleyLocated in Houston, TX“I am a painter who, against all odds, creates Baroque-inspired, psychologically charged fictional portraits that seek to illuminate aspects of the human condition.” - Ray Donley Ed...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
Cotton Canvas, Oil$5,600 Sale Price20% Off
- Woman, Yellow Shawl and FanLocated in New York, NYAn impressive and masterful depiction of a young woman with a fan. An American artist who studied and traveled in Europe and painted this painting before his return. It has its ori...Category
1930s American Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- "The Pensive Beauty," Carl Nordell, American Impressionism, Female PortraitBy Carl NordellLocated in Larchmont, NYCarl Nordell (1885 - 1957) The Pensive Beauty Oil on canvas 40 x 32 inches Signed lower left Nordell was born in Copenhagen on 23 September 1885. In 1892 the Nordell family settled...Category
Early 20th Century American Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials