Items Similar to Kami City, Kochi Prefecture (C-2497) View More
Toshio ShibataKami City, Kochi Prefecture (C-2497)
4 x 5 inch contact print (image size), on 8 x 10 inch sheet, edition 10, signed on verso Toshio Shibata is one of Japan's leading landscape photographers. But he has chosen a most unconventional subject for his landscape photography - infrastructure. He photographs dams, bridges, erosion control barriers, irrigation sluices, all with his own unique perspective - no horizon lines, no broad vistas, often offering a great sense of abstraction. His imagery conveys a distinct dichotomy - although we see the powerful drama of natural forces competing against man-made structures, we also appreciate that these structures can exist in harmony with nature. Shibata had his New York debut in 1992, at the Museum of Modern Art, as part of MOMA's "New Photography" series. The Laurence Miller Gallery hosted his first one-person show here in early 1993, and has represented him ever since. Many museums around the world have featured Shibata's work in solo exhibitions, including the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography; the Kawasaki City Museum; the Sprengel Museum in Hanover; the Centre National de Photographie in Paris; and in the United States - the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. In 2012, there was an expansive two-person show of his work, along with works by the late Japanese painter Toeko Tatsuno, at the National Arts Center in Tokyo. Most recently, the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts, hosted a 16-month-long show of his work, beginning in April 2013.
- Creation Year2014
- Movement & Style
- Condition DetailsThis photograph is offered here unframed. If framing is desired, please contact the gallery for available options (at an additional cost). Larger sizes available to order - please inquire.
- DimensionsH 8 in. x W 10 in.H 20.32 cm x W 25.4 cm
- Gallery LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU30222981261
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with the seller on your behalf to ensure you're satisfied with the resolution. Read more
Delivery, Returns & Payment
- DeliveryRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2015
Located in New York, NY
Art Dealers Association of America
Association of International Photography Art Dealers
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
Ukiha City, Fukuoka Prefecture (C-2357)
Imabari City, Ehime Prefecture (C-0718)
Kofu City, Yamanashi Prefecture (C-2486)
You May Also Like