Leather Arm Chair
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Dining Room Chairs
Antique 18th Century and Earlier English Armchairs
Vintage 1970s Italian Bauhaus Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Late 20th Century Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1960s Armchairs
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1920s French Louis XVI Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Armchairs
20th Century Chairs
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Leather, Bouclé, Mahogany, Walnut
Late 20th Century American Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Antique Early 19th Century English Regency Armchairs
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
2010s Canadian American Craftsman Dining Room Chairs
Late 20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Early 2000s Italian Club Chairs
Antique Late 19th Century British Georgian Armchairs
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Neoclassical Armchairs
Antique 19th Century Belgian Armchairs
20th Century French Armchairs
20th Century American Modern Armchairs
Late 20th Century Unknown Neoclassical Revival Side Chairs
2010s Chinese Chairs
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s French Armchairs
Vintage 1920s Queen Anne Armchairs
Antique 19th Century French French Provincial Armchairs
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1980s Italian Armchairs
Antique Mid-19th Century English Anglo-Indian Armchairs
Vintage 1980s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Armchairs
Late 20th Century German Post-Modern Armchairs
20th Century British Anglo-Indian Armchairs
Hardwood, Cane, Leather
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Antique Early 1900s Austrian Vienna Secession Armchairs
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern Club Chairs
Vintage 1930s German Art Deco Armchairs
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
20th Century Unknown Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1950s Norwegian Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Leather, Foam, Wood
Mid-20th Century German Bauhaus Armchairs
2010s American Modern Armchairs
Leather, Hardwood, Oak
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
21st Century and Contemporary American Armchairs
Early 2000s English Art Deco Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s German Post-Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1960s North American Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Leather, Upholstery, Walnut
Late 20th Century German Post-Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Faux Leather, Wood
1990s American Hollywood Regency Armchairs
Vintage 1970s American Armchairs
Leather Arm Chair For Sale on 1stDibs
How Much is a Leather Arm Chair?
Finding the Right Seating for You
With entire areas of our homes reserved for “sitting rooms,” the value of quality antique and vintage seating cannot be overstated.
Fortunately, the design of side chairs, armchairs and other lounge furniture — since what were, quite literally, the early perches of our ancestors — has evolved considerably.
Among the earliest standard seating furniture were stools. Egyptian stools, for example, designed for one person with no seat back, were x-shaped and typically folded to be tucked away. These rudimentary chairs informed the design of Greek and Roman stools, all of which were a long way from Sori Yanagi's Butterfly stool or Alvar Aalto's Stool 60. In the 18th century and earlier, seats with backs and armrests were largely reserved for high nobility.
The seating of today is more inclusive but the style and placement of chairs can still make a statement. Antique desk chairs and armchairs designed in the style of Louis XV, which eventually included painted furniture and were often made of rare woods, feature prominently curved legs as well as Chinese themes and varied ornaments. Much like the thrones of fairy tales and the regency, elegant lounges crafted in the Louis XV style convey wealth and prestige. In the kitchen, the dining chair placed at the head of the table is typically reserved for the head of the household or a revered guest.
Of course, with luxurious vintage or antique furnishings, every chair can seem like the best seat in the house. Whether your preference is stretching out on a plush sofa, such as the Serpentine, designed by Vladimir Kagan, or cozying up in a vintage wingback chair, there is likely to be a comfy classic or contemporary gem for you on 1stDibs.
With respect to the latest obsessions in design, cane seating has been cropping up everywhere, from sleek armchairs to lounge chairs, while bouclé fabric, a staple of modern furniture design, can be seen in mid-century modern, Scandinavian modern and Hollywood Regency furniture styles.
Admirers of the sophisticated craftsmanship and dark woods frequently associated with mid-century modern seating can find timeless furnishings in our expansive collection of lounge chairs, dining chairs and other items — whether they’re vintage editions or alluring official reproductions of iconic designs from the likes of Hans Wegner or from Charles and Ray Eames. Shop our inventory of Egg chairs, designed in 1958 by Arne Jacobsen, the Florence Knoll lounge chair and more.
No matter your style, the collection of antique, new and vintage seating on 1stDibs is surely worthy of a standing ovation.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 13, 2023Chairs with arms are called armchairs, and there are many styles of them. Examples include club, wingback and roll arm chairs. Find a collection of armchairs on 1stDibs today.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 31, 2023There is no difference between a club chair and an armchair; a club chair is a type of armchair. An armchair is any chair with arms, while a club chair is a wide, comfortable type of armchair that is typically clad in leather and features thick upholstery. All club chairs are armchairs, but not all armchairs are club chairs. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of club chairs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022A dining chair with arms is called a carver chair or elbow chair. It is a traditional dining chair with arms added to it for a more structured look and is a popular option for dining seats for a spot to comfortably rest your arms. Shop a selection of dining chairs on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 13, 2023An accent chair with no arms is typically called a slipper chair. These upholstered chairs originated in Europe during the 18th century and often served as seating in bedrooms. Today, people place slipper chairs in seating areas as well as bedrooms. Find a variety of slipper chairs on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertSeptember 28, 2021The best leather for chairs is going to depend on your personal preference. While choosing the leather for a chair, try to think of what you want out of your chair. While pigmented leather is the most durable, aniline leather looks more natural and preserves the hide of the animal. Semi-aniline on the other hand is more durable than aniline leather and it maintains the natural look. On 1stDibs, you can find a wide variety of leather chairs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Dining chairs without arms are called side chairs. Their counterpart, the armchair, is often found at the head of the table, with the side chairs filling in the seats along the side of the table. Shop a collection of side chairs from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Dining room chairs with arms are simply called armchairs. They are not to be confused with armchairs used in seating areas. A dining chair without arms is a side chair. You'll find a collection of antique and vintage dining chairs on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertOctober 12, 2021A good office chair should be comfortable with a high back, armrests and cushioned seating. Many leather office chairs can be called the best by different people depending on what appeals to them. On 1stDibs, find a variety of antique and vintage leather office chairs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 3, 2023Whether leather is good for dining chairs is largely a matter of personal opinion. However, many people find leather to be easy to wipe clean and appreciate its texture and appearance. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of leather dining chairs.
- 1stDibs ExpertSeptember 28, 2021The best leather recliner chair will really be a matter of preference — what kind of recliner do you need? Keep size in mind, especially if you’re working with a small space. You’ll want to prioritize comfort and durability, too. 1stDibs offers a variety of leather recliner chairs.
Eileen Gray’s Famed Cliffside Villa in the South of France Is Returned to Its Modernist Glory
After years of diligent restoration, E-1027, the designer-cum-architect’s marriage of romance and modernism, is finally complete.
Light and Dwell Brings Elegance and Ease to an Oregon Wine Country Estate
Molly Kidd lets her affection for France shine through in a new-build home that has the character of a centuries-old villa but still feels light and fresh.
Sight Unseen’s Magna Chair Channels the Greatness of Ancient Rome
Who knew aluminum could be so sexy?
JF Chen Moves Stools Out of the Corner and into the Spotlight
In Los Angeles, dealer Joel Chen gives the often clever and always versatile seats some long-overdue attention.
Marie Burgos’s Milo Bean Ottoman Is Portable, Versatile and Downright Huggable
This little pouf can be a seat, a floor pillow or a footrest and comes in Caribbean-inspired fabric colors.
This Niko Kralj Mid-Century Rocking Chair Can Be Folded and Tucked Away
The 'King of Slovenian Design' is getting discovered anew, thanks to reissues of his sleek and inventive postwar designs.
Kaleidoscopic Upholstery Makes This Edward Wormley Chair a Showstopper
What at first glance seems an unusual choice jibes perfectly with the designer's aesthetic.
Who Is Mario Bellini, and Why Is His 1970s Camaleonda Sofa Everywhere Right Now?
Get the lowdown on the ultrachic modular sofas that are currently taking up real estate in your Instagram saved folder.