Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Versace evening dresses, handbags, day dresses, accessories and more on 1stDibs.
|Average Sold Price|
Early 2000s Italian Versace
2010s European Versace
2010s European Versace
Early 2000s Italian Versace
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Versace
Early 2000s Italian Versace
20th Century Versace
20th Century Italian Versace
Designers Similar to Versace
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
This Versace Minidress Is the Epitome of Y2K Red-Carpet Style
Ready to party? So is this dress.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
Versace fashion for sale on 1stDibs.
- What fabric does Versace use?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace uses a wide variety of Italian-sourced fabrics to create its products. Creative director Donatella Versace has cited lightweight materials such as satin, shiny jersey and wool crepe as being among her favorites to work with. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Versace clothing on 1stDibs.
- What fabric did Versace create?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022In 1982, Versace created a one-of-a-kind metallic mesh fabric called Oroton. This golden fabric resembles very fine netting and is loved for its liquidy, shimmering appearance and drapability. Versace won an award for the fabric, which he developed with the help of engineers. On 1stDibs, find vintage and modern Versace pieces from top sellers worldwide.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace designs a wide range of shoes, clothes, and accessories for men, women, and children, plus a range of housewares. The luxury brand is most famous for its shoes, bags, watches, and ready-to-wear clothing. Versace also has a collection of home goods, including dishes, linens, kitchen tools, and home decor. Shop a collection of authentic Versace clothes, accessories, and decor from some of the world's top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The fashion company Versace is currently owned by Carpi Holdings Limited. This sale happened in 2018, with the announcement coming out in September, and the deal closing before the end of the year. The company Capri Holdings Limited was founded by American designer Michael Kors in 1981, and was originally called MKH Ltd. until it was renamed in 2019. Shop a collection of authentic Versace clothing, shoes and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Where are Versace shoes made?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace shoes are made in Italy. Innovative shoes have been an important part of the Versace collections for years. Whether you’re looking for vintage or contemporary fashion, you’ll find a collection of expertly-vetted Versace shoes from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Where can I buy Versace tiles?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can purchase Versace tiles on the Versace Ceramics website and other high-end online and brick-and-mortar retailers. Versace tiles have been produced by Gardenia Orchidea since 1997 and are known for their stellar materials, luxurious colors, and soft shapes. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Versace home decor from top sellers worldwide.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Donatella Versace became the creative director of Versace upon her brother Gianni’s tragic death in 1997. Though she sold the company to Capri Holdings in 2018, they retained her as Versace’s chief creative officer. From vintage to contemporary collections, you’ll find expertly-vetted Versace clothing and accessories in 1stDibs.
- Who was Gianni Versace?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Giovanni Maria “Gianni” Versace was an Italian fashion designer and the founder of the brand Versace. He was known around the world for high-end, luxury designs that featured bold colors and prints with a sexy attitude. Versace was born in 1946 in Reggio Calabria, Italy and was killed outside his Miami Beach home in 1997. Find a collection of authentic Versace clothing, shoes and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022When Gianni Versace passed in 1997, he left 20 percent of his fashion empire to his sister and muse, Donatella, 50 percent to his niece, Allegra, Donatella’s daughter, and 30 percent to his brother Santo. Shop a collection of authentic Versace pieces from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Who sells Versace sunglasses?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace’s website sells the brand’s sunglasses, and you can also purchase them through high-end fashion retailers in-store and online. Versace sunglasses are known for their beauty and durability. Shop a collection of authentic Versace eyewear from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, it’s bad to use alcohol to clean Versace glasses – or any glasses. It’s never recommended to use alcohol for cleaning any part of a pair of glasses because it can react with the metal surfaces and also potentially damage the lenses. Only use water and a mild, lotion-free soap or specialized glasses cleaner. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Versace glasses on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace has over 200 boutiques worldwide, plus 1500 wholesale distributors across the globe. You can also buy Versace clothes, accessories and home goods through their website and through a variety of luxury retailers online and in-store. Find authentic Versace bags, clothing and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- How do you say gianni versace?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The name of Gianni Versace, the designer who revolutionized luxury fashion with his ultra-glamorous designs and theatrical bent beloved by supermodels and everyday people alike, is pronounced "jee-AH-nee ver-SAH-cheh." On 1stDibs, find vintage and contemporary Versace haute couture from top sellers around the world.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace was founded in 1978 by Gianni Versace in Milan, Italy. Since then, the brand’s stylish prints and bright colors have continued to capture the imagination of people worldwide. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of vintage and modern Versace apparel from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- What are Versace chains made of?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The composition of a Versace chain depends on the product in question. For more information about specific products, consult the brand’s website. Shop a collection of expertly-vetted vintage and modern Versace accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Adjusting the strap on a Versus Versace watch depends on the style that you have. Leather and metal bands are adjusted differently, so if you’re unsure, take it to the authorized dealer you purchased the watch from for more instructions. Shop a collection of Versace watches on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To find your Versace belt’s CLG code, look at the hang tag or label. You can enter the CLG code on the Certilogo website to authenticate your belt. If the code is missing, there are other ways you can authenticate a Versace belt. Find authentic Versace accessories from top sellers worldwide on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To clean black Versace slides, wipe the rubber parts with a clean damp cloth. Use a high quality leather cleaner on the leather parts of the slide, according to the product directions. Avoid all types of cleaning chemicals on your Versace shoes. On 1stDibs, find authentic Versace footwear from trusted sellers worldwide.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022A genuine pair of Versace glasses will come in a branded box that contains a warranty card, information booklet, dust cloth and carrying case. Ensure that all these factors are present then check the writing and logos for font consistency and any signs of sloppy workmanship that might indicate a fake. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of expertly-vetted Versace glasses from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Fake Versace jewelry typically uses inexpensive materials and may exhibit inconsistent lines, sloppy work, or discoloration. To authenticate Versace jewelry, take it to an experienced and reputable jewelry appraiser. To avoid buying fake Versace jewelry, purchase it from the brand directly or through a trusted third-party site. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of authentic jewelry from top sellers worldwide.