- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Van Cleef & Arpels Lapis Lazuli & Turquoise Brooch
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Turquoise Sapphire and Diamond Brooch PendantBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef and Arpels Turquoise Sapphire and Diamond Brooch Pendant Diamonds weighing a total of approximately 7.50 carats Dimensions 2½ x 2¼ inches yellow and white gold Sign...Category
Vintage 1970s French Retro BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, TurquoiseUS$70,000Free Shipping
- Cat Brooch Made by Van Cleef & ArpelsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThe phenomenal designers at Van Cleef are known to take inspiration from nature in their work, and this piece is no exception. This work of art turned jewelry is a Cat brooch set wit...Category
Vintage 1970s American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, OnyxUS$105,000
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Flower Brooch & Earrings SetBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef Diamond Flower Brooch & Earrings Set with 12 diamonds clustered together as the center of the flower. Along with a pair of matching earrings set with 7 diamonds in the ce...Category
Vintage 1970s French BroochesMaterials
Diamond, 18k GoldUS$40,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Turquoise & Diamond BraceletBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef & Arpels Turquoise & Diamond Bracelet, circa 1960, cabochon turquoise designed as a series of 5 oval clusters including pear shape turquoise & round cut diamonds. Diamond...Category
Vintage 1960s Link BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, Turquoise, Platinum
- Van Cleef and Arpels Turquoise and Diamond BraceletBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef and Arpels Turquoise and Diamond Bracelet 19 flower motif links set with diamonds, extending from a center cabochon turquoise set in platinum & 18k yellow gold. Measurem...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Retro BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, Turquoise, 18k Gold, PlatinumUS$85,000Free Shipping
- Highly Important Van Cleef and Arpels Turquoise and Diamond NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYHighly Important Van Cleef and Arpels Turquoise and Diamond Necklace Of fringe design, suspending seven turquoise cabochons framed by round diamonds and floral motifs set with round...Category
Vintage 1950s French More NecklacesMaterials
Turquoise, Diamond, Platinum
- Fantastic Van Cleef and Arpels VCA Turquoise and Diamond Clover BroochBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA Fantastic Van Cleef and Arpels Turquoise and Diamond Clover Brooch. Designed as a clover, pear-shaped cabochon turquoise, round diamond, 18k yellow gold, signed VCA, NY, numbered....Category
20th Century American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, TurquoiseUS$8,600Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond, Turquoise Earrings and BroochBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVAN CLEEF & ARPELS Diamond, Turquoise Earrings & Brooch A pair of 18k yellow gold ear clips and broch, set with brilliant-cut diamonds and turquoise, signed Van Cleef & Arpels. broo...Category
Vintage 1970s American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Turquoise, 18k GoldUS$95,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Turquoise Yellow Gold BroochBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA remarkable vintage brooch by Van Cleef & Arpels that dates back to the 1960s, crafted in a pear-shaped design made of 18k yellow gold, embellished with polished turquoise and diamo...Category
Vintage 1960s French BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Turquoise, Yellow Gold, 18k GoldUS$95,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Turquoise and Diamond Flower BroochBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA beautiful Van Cleef & Arpels Turquoise and Diamond Flower Brooch with work on the stem and leaves of the flower. The total weight of the 15 grams. The length is 2 5/8."Category
20th Century BroochesMaterials
Diamond, TurquoiseUS$30,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Collection Diamond Turquoise Pendant BroochBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef & Arpels Vintage Collection 1970s Diamond Persian Turquoise Pendant Brooch Diamond weight approx. 15.00 carats total. Measures approx. 3.30″ in overall length, 1.50″ in ove...Category
Vintage 1970s French BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Turquoise, 18k Gold
- Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Emerald Brooch 18 KaratBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CABeautiful vintage estate brooch by designer Van Cleef & Arpels. Crafted from premium 18 karat yellow gold and Platinum, and set with fine quality round brilliant cut diamonds and int...Category
Vintage 1960s Unknown Retro BroochesMaterials
Emerald, Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum, Yellow GoldUS$18,500Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
A Mini Romance Plays Out on the Dial of This Van Cleef and Arpels Watch
The tiny lovers inch closer together by the hour and minute until they finally embrace on a world-famous bridge.