- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
80s Paco Rabanne Multi Color Metal Disc Large Belt
About the Item
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Paco Rabanne Brown Mini skirt with Circles Leather Cut OutBy Paco RabanneLocated in Beverly Hills, CA2000s Paco Rabanne black mini skirt with red, white and black vinyl leather cut out. Waist: 28"/ Hip: 38"/ Length: 19 ** Skirt is styled with beaded vest available for purchase on ou...Category
Early 2000s French Skirts
- Vintage Paco Rabanne White Lattice One Piece Swim SuitBy Paco RabanneLocated in Beverly Hills, CANever Worn Paco Rabanne White Lattice One Piece Bathing Suit. Bathing suit still has store tag. Marked Size 40. Fit size 4/6 Bust: 32 inch - 34 inch Waist: 28 inch - 30 inch Hip: 34...Category
1990s French Beachwear
- PACO RABANNE Black One Piece SwimsuitBy Paco RabanneLocated in Beverly Hills, CAUNWORN PACO RABANNE Black One Piece swimsuit/ bathing suit with cutout clear plastic. Work well as body suit. Swimwear is style with vintage Chanel Hat available at my 1stdibs store....Category
1990s French Bodysuits
- Paco Rabanne Gold Chain Cocktail DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Beverly Hills, CANever worn Paco Rabanne Gold chain link sleeveless cocktail dress. New with tag. In excellent condition. Fit size 4-6Category
20th Century Cocktail Dresses
- Donald Brooks Seafoam Green Silk Dress, 1960sBy Donald BrooksLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1960s Donald Brooks green silk dress. Size: 2/ Small *** some tiny yellow spots (see image)Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- 2009 Martin Margiela Mirrored Disco JacketBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TX2009 Martin Margiela Mirrored Disco Jacket Look #35 from Spring 2009 collection by Martin Margiela Can be worn as cape or jacket Condition: Very good, no missing mirrors or wear 42"...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- Prada brown alligator bucket hat, fw 2003By PradaLocated in London, GB▪ Prada brown alligator bucket hat ▪ Metal buckle detail ▪ Limited edition ▪ Nylon lining ▪ Comes with Prada hat box ▪ Size Medium ▪ Fall-Winter 2003Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats
- A Paco Rabanne Couture Set in Yellow knitwear and Papier Fou- Spring Summer 1991By Paco RabanneLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 1991 Collection France Modernist ensemble from Paco Rabanne's Haute Couture show. Composed of a pair of Bermuda shorts, a tunic-dress made of stretchy ribbed knitwear...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage Christian Dior J'Adore Burgundy Wrap Sunglasses Fall 2000 Y2KBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandVintage Christian Dior Burgundy Wrap Sunglasses From 2000's Dior by Galliano. Made in Austria. This piece show minor sign of wear due to storage. Front : 19 cms Lens Height : 3...Category
1990s German Sunglasses
- NWT S/S 2001 Atelier Versace by Donatella Versace Pink Satin and Wicker BagBy Donatella Versace, Atelier VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an incredible pink wicker Atelier Versace bag, designed by Donatella Versace. From the Haute Couture collection, this bag debuted on the season's runway as part...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Logo Metal Disc Space Age BeltBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Logo Metal Disc Space Age Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.59 inches (6.6 cm) Belt Height: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Overall Length: 32.28 inches (82 cm) Feature...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage Iconic PACO RABANNE Space Age Rigid Metal Wide BeltBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Iconic PACO RABANNE Space Age Rigid Metal Wide Belt Measurements: Height: 2.32 inches (5.9 cm) Wearable Length: 29.52 inches (75 cm) Overall Length: 30.31 inches (77 cm) Fe...Category
20th Century French Belts
- 1960/ 1970s Paco Rabanne Futuristic Metal Disc Chain Belt, UnlabelledBy Paco RabanneLocated in London, GBThis fabulous late 1960s/ early 1970s metal chain belt is unlabelled, however we can confirm with confidence that it is by iconic Spanish designer Paco Rabanne who was extolled durin...Category
1960s French Belts
- PACO RABANNE Clear Silver Link Lucite Ring Necklace BeltBy Paco RabanneLocated in San Francisco, CAPACO RABANNE Circa 1995 necklace / belt comes in a clear lucite material featuring a oval disc design, silver tone chain link, and a clasp closure. Includes tags & dust bag. Very Go...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belts
- Chromed belt with perforated metal mesh by Paco Rabanne - France Circa 1970By Paco RabanneLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1965-1975 France Original chromed metal belt by Paco Rabanne (attributed to). Square perforated links connected by hooks. No Paco Rabanne label, but typical of the designer's ...Category
1960s French Belts
- An Early Paco Rabanne Couture Metallic Belt Circa 1970/1980By Paco RabanneLocated in Toulon, FRFrance Circa 1970/1980 France Paco Rabanne original belt in white metal discs. Hook closure. Some tiny scratches on the metal otherwise perfect condition of conservation. Dimensio...Category
1970s French Belts$997Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery