- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CHRISTIAN DIOR black leather MONTAIGNE BOBBY CD Belt 80
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Zürich, CH
- Reference Number:Seller: 669681stDibs: LU1380217993502
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Zürich, Switzerland
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- CHRISTIAN DIOR black leather DIORPOLYTECHNIQUE CD Belt 38 SBy Christian DiorLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Christian Dior CD Diorpolytechnique thin waist belt in black smooth calfskin featuring rectangular metal buckle with shiny gold finish, embellished with the iconic "CD...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Belts
- CHRISTIAN DIOR silver metal 2003 STRASS PAVE DOG HOOK CHAIN Belt 85By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Christian Dior by John Galliano S/S 2003 in brown perforated leather and silver metal, the snap hook is entirely covered with light-catching rhinestones. Has been worn...Category
Early 2000s Belts
- CHRISTIAN DIOR natural raffia 2020 CD DOUBLE WRAP ROPE BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Christian Dior double wrap rope belt in natural raffia featuring silver-tone CD metal buckle. Has been worn and is in excellent condition. Comes with dust bag. 2020...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belts
- HERMES brushed & shiny permabrass H AU CARRE 32mm Belt BuckleBy HermèsLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Hermes H au Carre 32mm belt buckle in shiny and brushed permabrass. Brand new. Comes with dust bag and box. Belt straps sold separ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Belts
- GUCCI black leather DOUBLE WRAP Skinny Belt 85 34By GucciLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Gucci skinny double wrap waist belt in black calfskin with square light gold-tone metal buckle. Has been worn and is in excellent condition. Measurements Tag Size 85...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belts
- HERMES black Box leather COLLIER DE CHIEN Belt 90By HermèsLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Hermès vintage Collier De Chien belt in black Box leather featuring gold-tone hardware. Has been carried and shows some wear and scratches on the hardware. Overall in ...Category
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Lion Head Charms Brown Leather BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Lion Head Charms Brown Leather Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 1.97 inches (5 cm) Strap Height: 1.18 inches (3 cm) Length: 33 i...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Oblique Logo Monogram Burgundy BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Oblique Logo Monogram Burgundy Belt Measurements: Height Buckle: 1.38 inches (3.5 cm) Height Belt Strap: 0.98 inch (2.5 cm) We...Category
1980s French Belts
- Christian Dior Multi-Strain Gold Tone Rope Chain beltBy Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CAChristian Dior multi-strain gold tone rope chain belt with geometric accents. Signed: Christian Dior Measurments: 1" Tall x 26" Long Good Vintage Condition: Please remember all c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belts
- Christian Dior Mustard Yellow Snakeskin with Gold Hardware Adjustable BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior's adjustable snakeskin belt in mustard-yellow is lined with lambskin leather on the interior. The belt is adjustable just by adjusting one hardware underneath. The bel...Category
1980s Italian Belts
- Christian Dior Large Gilded Gold Hardware Buckle and BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior vintage large detailed gilded gold with filigree hardware belt buckle with a adjustable black calfskin leather belt. The gilded gold filigree det...Category
1970s French Belts
- Signed Christian Dior Multi-Chain Gold Hardware BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior multi-chain gold hardware belt is signed. The belt measures 30" on the waist and can be adjustable.Category
1980s French Belts
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery