- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Medallion Crest Chunky Chain Necklace Belt
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Kingersheim, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: CEIN1351stDibs: LU1715210763662
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage Massive 1995 MARGARITA BARRERA Sculpture Alligator BeltLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Massive 1995 MARGARITA BARRERA Sculpture Alligator Belt Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 5.51 inches (14 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MARGARITA BARRERA belt...Category
1990s American Belts
- Vintage MAISON GRIPOIX Multi Colour Glass Paste Flower Mesh BeltBy Maison GripoixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MAISON GRIPOIX Multi Colour Glass Paste Flower Mesh Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Strap Height: 1.18 inches (3 cm) Wearable Length: 37 inches (94 cm) ...Category
1990s French Belts
- Vintage 1988 CHRISTOPHER ROSS Sculpture Knot Tassel Belt BuckleBy Christopher RossLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1988 CHRISTOPHER ROSS Sculpture Knot Tassel Belt Buckle Measurements: Height: 5.03 inches (12.8 cm) Width: 6.49 inches (16.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic CHRISTOPHER ROSS belt buckle...Category
1980s American Belts
- Vintage CHANEL Horse Riding Motif Medallion Necklace BeltBy ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL Horse Riding Motif Medallion Necklace Belt Measurements: Diameter Medallion: 1.18 inches (3 cm) Total Length: 33.46 inches (85 cm) Fea...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage HERMES Reversible Pop Color Double Strap BeltBy HermèsLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage HERMES Reversible Pop Color Double Strap Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Wearable Length: 27.55 inches, 28.34 inches, 29.13 inches (70 cm, 72 cm, 74 c...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Logo Monogram Buckle Brown Suede Leather BeltBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Logo Monogram Buckle Brown Suede Leather Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Leather Height: 1.30 in...Category
1980s French Belts
- Cartier "Byzantine" Belt or Necklace in Gold Vermeil, Signed, circa 1970By CartierLocated in Los Angeles, CAAn extremely rare gold vermeil belt by Cartier, circa 1970, also can be worn as a chunky statement necklace. This highly sought after and coveted belt is made from solid sterling si...Category
1970s American Belts$11,760 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red floor-length dress and fur snood, fw 1999By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior black and red floor-length dress and snood ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Vertical fringe stripes ▪ Rabbit-fur snood ▪ Figure-hugging ...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Vivienne Westwood black cotton lace and mesh corset, fw 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black cotton lace corset ▪ Mesh side panels ▪ Internal boning ▪ Back zip fastening ▪ UK 10 - FR 38 - US 6 ▪ Fall-Winter 1994Category
1990s British Corsets
- Gianni Versace silver Oroton metal chainmail bodysuit and skirt, fw 1994By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace silver Oroton chainmail two piece skirt suit ▪ 100% Metal ▪ Vest with lycra bodysuit attached ▪ Knee length skirt with draped detail ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Cartier "Jackie O" Belt or Necklace in 24 Karat Gold Vermeil, Signed, circa 1970By CartierLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis stunning and iconic gold vermeil belt by Cartier, circa 1970, doubles as a chunky statement necklace. This highly sought after and coveted belt is made from solid sterling silve...Category
1970s American Belts$8,960 Sale Price20% Off
- Breathtaking Gianni Versace Couture 1990s Black Bondage Back Evening Gown DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHA TRUE COLLECTOR'S ITEM CREATED BY GIANNI VERSACE FOR ONE OF HIS MOST FAMOUS COLLECTIONS EVER A very rare and stunning signature piece Designed by Gianni Versace himself for one o...Category
1990s Evening Gowns
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia navy acetate knit hooded maxi dress, fw 1986By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBAll photographs in this listing EXCLUDING any reference or runway imagery needs the credit of the copyright owner ONE OF A KIND ARCHIVE if you want to perform certain acts, such as c...Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior 1970'S Trotter Monogram Buckle BeltBy Christian DiorLocated in Sheffield, GBA 1970's CHRISTIAN DIOR belt, featuring the iconinc 1970's Trotter monogram in black & cream, with large enamelled 'CD' buckle. Features; Iconic Dior 'Trotter' print Large 'CD' bu...Category
1970s French Belts
- Roberto Cavalli Crocodile Effect Leather For Women BeltBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Bilbao, ESRoberto Cavalli Crocodile Effect Leather For Women Belt The buckle simulates a gold-plated horn with a black lacquer in the center DETAILS Size: 42 85 Co...Category
1990s Italian Belts$179 Sale Price25% Off
- Chanel 1992 Large Gold Logo Belt/NecklaceBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZGet your hands on an iconic CHANEL piece! This is a very rare and important Chanel Logo Pendant. In fact, this style was famously worn by Linda ...Category
1990s French Belts
- Kathrine Baumann Swarovski Leopard Belt BuckleBy Kathrine Baumann Beverly HillsLocated in Scottsdale, AZCalling all feline lovers! Add some GLAM to your belt buckle collection & catch someone's attention from across the room with the sparkle. This intricate Leopard buckle is designed and signed by Kathrine...Category
1990s American Belts
- Chanel Interlocking CC Chain-Link BeltBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZDon't miss out on the chance to get your hands on this chunky and versatile gem from the iconic Chanel! Wear this as a belt, or a necklace to create your very own unique look. Always remember to have fun with fashion, it's not that serious! Features on this belt include a deeply textured chains with a 'cc' detail, a hook fastening, a rich and bright gold-plated brass, and a 1.5in x 1.5in black and gold...Category
1990s French Belts
- Kathrine Baumann Swarovski Flower Belt BuckleBy Katherine Baumann, Kathrine Baumann Beverly HillsLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdd some GLAM to your belt buckle collection! Catch someone's attention from across the room with the sparkle. This intricate flower belt buckle is designed and signed by Kathrine Baumann...Category
1990s American Belts
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery