- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vivienne Westwood "Man" leather belt
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- Prada Multi Gold Studded Coco-Brown Fringed with Black Beadwork Buckle BeltBy PradaLocated in New York, NYPrada's wonderfully wicked coco-brown fringed buckle belt is detailed with multi gilded gold hardware studs throughout accented with black multi-beveled oblong beadwork. The w...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Lapis Blue & Red Suede Multi-Studded Buckle BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent wonderfully elegant combination of blue lapis and red suede is detailed with navy calfskin edging on the lapis blue suede. Completely this wonderful look are the g...Category
1980s French Belts
- Leo Lola Coco-Brown Suede with Gilded Gold Vermeil Hardware BeltLocated in New York, NYLeo Lola wonderfully detailed coco-brown suede calfskin belt is accented with thick gilded gold vermeil finish hardware as well as the buckle. The buckle itself measures 3 5/8...Category
1970s French Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Olive-Green Curved Calfskin/Silver Hardware Link Chain BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent olive-green calfskin belt is accented with multi-chain link polished silver hardware with a curved waistband to ensure a elegant fit. Because of the chain-l...Category
1990s French Belts
- Alaia Coco Brown Calfskin with Brass Accent Leather BeltBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in New York, NYAlaia's wonderful timeless coco brown calfskin leather belt is detailed with brass accents. The leather belt measures 36 inches x 1 1/2 inches. Buckle measures 1 6/8 inches x 2 ...Category
1990s French Belts
- Mr. We Adjustable Whimsical Gilded Gold Hardware "Snail" BeltLocated in New York, NYMr. We's wonderful whimsical "Snail" adjustable belt in gilded gold hardware measures 32 inches x 1 inch. The "Snail" itself measures 3 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 ...Category
1980s American Belts
- Alberta Ferretti Wide Leather Belt Size SmallBy Alberta FerrettiLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAThis Alberta Ferretti Wide Leather Belt is a moment straight off the runway. Wear as a belt or be daring and wear as shown on the runway as a top. A super fashion forward, avant-gar...Category
2010s Italian Belts
- Chanel Gold Iconic Logo Cc Runway Vintage 1993 Very Rare BeltBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLYear: 1993 Size 75/30 100% Authentic CHANEL from 1993 Printemps Collection (Spring). - Black leather belt with massive CC charms. - Leather and chain swag with CC charm at the end. ...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- Rodeo Storyteller Sterling Child's Belt or Hat BandLocated in Miami Beach, FLRare rodeo theme storyteller child's belt or hat band featuring 12 different rodeo scene concha pieces. The buckle is signed RS Sterling. Each raised design has gold accents. Bullrid...Category
Mid-20th Century Belts$600 Sale Price36% Off
- Carlos Falchi Western Waist BeltBy Carlos FalchiLocated in Austin, TXCarlos Falchi brown leather stamped western theme belt with pony fur inserts. Condition: Good, some wear . fits waist 27 "- 29". 2" W. Size small We accept returns for refund, p...Category
1980s American Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent 1970s Waist beltBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Austin, TX1970s Yves Saint Laurent waist belt. Condition:Very good. Size MediumCategory
1970s French Belts
- 1970s Alex & Lee Macramé Rope BeltBy Alex & LeeLocated in Scottsdale, AZThe Most Amazing Vintage Belt Is Here! Circa 1970s, this Alex & Lee macrame belt features various styles of multi-strand ropes and cords which are twisted for a unique design. Includ...Category
1970s American Belts