- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Gold Metal Belt YSL 1989
About the Item
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Boca Raton, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Purple Pleated Silk Wide Cummerbund BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLA commendable aspect to Yves Saint Laurent’s designs was his ability to seamlessly create a parity between menswear styles and elevated women’s aesthetic. From his sleek styling of t...Category
1970s French Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Beaded Rope and Tassel Necklace Belt, 1990sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLSimple designs with exquisite detailing Yves Saint Laurent accessories speak volumes. From his 1990s show, this rare black braided YSL belt was loaned to Vogue Arabia for a 2016 phot...Category
Late 20th Century French Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Red Black Passementerie Gripoix Hearts Clutch/ Belt Bag YSLBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLThe suit, the safari jacket, the peasant dress—Yves Saint Laurent was a master at seeing the high-fashion potential of that which others might have dismissed. This passementerie purs...Category
1970s French Clutches
- Yves Saint Laurent Red Green Passementerie Tassel Belt Bag YSL, 1990sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLPassementerie accessories are a staple to early YSL collections. The craftsmanship of these designs allows for an exciting way to bring together interesting color combos and provides...Category
1990s French Belts
- Vintage Saint Laurent 1970s Top, Pants & Tassel Belt Set YSLBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLThis is a super chic three piece set from Saint Laurent. The color is shocking pink, and I love the subtle Two-Tone color. The top is a deeper shade of pink and the pants are a slig...Category
1970s French Trouser Pant Suits$780 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Saint Laurent Pink 1970s Top, Pants & Black Tassel Belt Set YSLBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLThis is a super chic three piece set from Saint Laurent. The color is shocking pink, and I love the subtle Two-Tone color. The top is a deeper shade of pink and the pants are a sligh...Category
1970s French Trouser Pant Suits$699 Sale Price28% Off
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Shell Textured Metal BeltBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Shell Textured Metal Belt Measurements: Height: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Wearable Length: 28.15 inches, 28.74 inches and 29.33 inches (71.5 cm, 73 cm to 7...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Tiffany & Co. by C. H. Meylan Platinum and Diamomd Art Deco Ladies Watch 1920'sBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Long Beach, CAFACTORY / HOUSE: C. H. Meylan for Tiffany & Co. STYLE / REFERENCE: Art Deco Ladies Diamond Bracelet Watch METAL / MATERIAL: Platinum and Diamonds CIRCA / YEAR: 1920's DIMENSIONS / SI...Category
Vintage 1920s Swiss Art Deco Wrist Watches
- Moroccan Velvet Embroidered with Gold Metallic Thread Slippers ShoesLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage velvet burgundy embroidered pointed toe Moroccan Moorish exotic shoes. Embroidered Moorish Mughal metallic gold thread ethnic flat slippers. Late-Ottoman Turkish Moorish styl...Category
Mid-20th Century Moroccan Shoes$200 Sale Price20% Off
- Gianni Versace Gold Medusa BeltBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Milano, ITThis rare belt from the 1990s's by Gianni Versace is one of the most iconic pieces in his original collection. The belt is beautifully composed of 16 circular handmade motifs in the...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Gold Metal Minaudiere Tassel Shoulder BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Gold Metal Minaudiere Tassel Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 3.5 inches (9 cm) Width: 6 inches (15 cm) Depth: 2.55 inches (6.5 cm) Strap Length: 41...Category
1980s French Clutches
- Yves Saint Laurent 1970s Waist beltBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Austin, TX1970s Yves Saint Laurent waist belt. Condition:Very good. Size MediumCategory
1970s French Belts
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Metallic BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your outfit with this Yves Saint Laurent belt from the 1980s! Gold metallic leather belt with gold hammered belt-buckle. Marked a size medium. Measures 34 inches total.Category
1980s Italian Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent 1990s Chain Link Leather BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdd this amazing piece to all your looks! Circa late 1990s/ Tom Ford era, this YSL belt features large gold toned rings link together by black leather. Includes a detachable YSL ring...Category
1990s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Neon Space Age Woven Passementerie BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Neon Space Age Woven Passementerie Belt Measurements: Buckle Diameter: 3.18 inches (8.1 cm) Strap Height: 2.55 inches (6.5 cm) Wearable Length: 25.78 ...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link Belt Measurements: Heart Buckle: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Oval Links: 1.45 inches (3.7 cm) Length: 27.95 inches (71 cm) Features: - 100% Au...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Chunky Chain Necklace BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Chunky Chain Necklace Belt Measurements: Height: 1 2/8 inches Wearable Length: 29 inches to 33 4/8 inches Features: - 100% Authentic YVES SAINT LAURENT. ...Category
20th Century French Belts
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery