Items Similar to Bill Cunningham William J. Bright Green Wool Felt Hat with Fringe
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 7
Bill Cunningham William J. Bright Green Wool Felt Hat with Fringe
Perhaps you saw the Capsule Collection of William J. hats that I posted to 1stdibs in 2012. The whole collection of 22 hats were snapped up in an instant by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC for the Costume Institute collection. William J. is the "nom de chapeau" for Bill Cunningham the late beloved photographer of street style and high society events for the New York Times. Before his career as a photographer his creative talents were used as a milliner in the 1940's and 50's, working under the name William J. an abbreviation of his name. This hat is from the same source as the hats that are now at The Met. They come from a friend and neighbor who was the niece of an executive at Bonwit Teller in New York back in the day when ladies wore hats to work. The executive was a very good friend of Mr. Cunningham, (as was her niece) resulting in this large cache of hats found in Bucks County. This hat is a cheerful Spring green wool felt with a clever self fringe as the brim. It must look wonderful when you walk. Meant to sit up on the head there is a criss cross of grosgrain ribbons inside to help maintain the shape. The hat is in excellent, wearable condition. The only issue is some soiling on the interior hat band, I have not tried to clean it. Measurements; Height 7" Width 9" Interior circumference 22"
- DesignerWilliam J.
- DimensionsHeight: 7 in. (17.78 cm)Width: 9 in. (22.86 cm)Marked Size: Interior Circumference 22" (US)
- Place of OriginUnited States
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationNew Hope, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU476002971
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Parcel Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: New Hope, PA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in New Hope, PA
5 / 5
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1978
1stDibs seller since 2009
783 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Bill CunninghamLocated in New Hope, PAPerhaps you saw the Capsule Collection of William J. hats that I posted to 1stdibs in 2012. The whole collection...Category
Mid-20th Century Hats
- By Eric JavitsLocated in New Hope, PAMy client wore this hat to the 2004 Kentucky Derby as a guest of the owners of Smarty Jones. Smarty Jones won t...Category
Early 2000s Hats
- By Terry de HavillandLocated in New Hope, PACreated by Terry de Haviland "Cobbler to the World" in the 1970's and creator of Fantasies in Footwear this amaz...Category
- By Sybil ConnollyLocated in New Hope, PAKnown as the Irish Couturier, Sybil Connolly is most famous for her extremely rare pleated linen clothing. She u...Category
You May Also Like
1960s Hermes Green Silk Turban Cap
Located in Paris, FR
1960s Hermes green silk turban featuring a fruit print. 100% silk. Estimated size S Circumference: 21,45 in or 54,5 cm In good vintage condition. Made in France. We guarantee you w...
Original 1960s Vintage Gathered Chiffon Green Pill Box Hat
Located in Chillerton, Isle of Wight
Original 1960s Vintage Gathered Chiffon Green Pill Box Hat Formal hat for wedding or garden party, gathered chiffon decorated at the top gathered into flowers Fun with style, this ...
Saint Laurent 1980s Color Block Straw Cap
By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint Laurent
Located in Scottsdale, AZ
This hat is serving all the 80s vibes! Circa 1980s, this YSL glossy straw hat features a contrasting vibrant green cap and a large deep pink brim. Perfect for the poolside or to spic...
1960s Green Feather Beret Hat De Pinna Salon
Located in Wallkill, NY
Wonderful vintage green feathered 1960s hat with a Stiffened tulle base. Measures 21 in diameter XS - Labeled De Pinna Salon ~ New York ~ Miami Beach ~ Please check our storefront fo...
Christian Dior Emerald Green Silk Satin Turban Hat, 1960s
By Christian Dior
Located in Boca Raton, FL
Following the passing of couturier Christian Dior in 1957, the then young, up-and-coming Yves Saint Laurent helmed the acclaimed house at the age of twenty-one. Saint Laurent revampe...
1960s Lime Green Women's Fedora
Located in San Francisco, CA
1960s Lime Green Women's Fedora
$250 Sale Price
1950s Green Velvet Couture Hat
Located in London, GB
Fabulous vintage 1950s abstract, turban inspired hat consisting of a green velvet band wrapped around a black net base. There are no maker’s labels but it is a very unique and drama...
1960's Bonta Creatrice Brown Linen & Straw Hat With Turquoise Details
Located in Atlanta, GA
The color combination of this 1960's upturned boater hat by Bonta Creatrice is eye catching. The natural light brown linen body is accented with a coordinating straw braid and set o...
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery