Yves Saint Laurent Rare Hat with Silk Scarf
About the Item
- Style:1960's (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU167218283652
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Yves Saint Laurent evening dresses, shirts, handbags and other clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Hermés Fedora HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor the ultimate Hermés lover! Circa 21st century, this beautifully structured fedora is crafted from ultra soft rabbit felt with a rouge red finish. Arou...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hats$1,100
- Hermés "Le Soleil Royal" Silk TurbanBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate all your looks with this amazing Hermés turban! Circa late 20th century, this scarf turned into a turban features a motif designed by Pierre Péro...Category
Late 20th Century French Hats
- Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Black Leather Flight CapBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZStraight from the Tom Ford archives! Circa 2003 from YSL's S/S collection, this flight cap is crafted from a shiny smooth black patient leather and is lined...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats
- Hermés 1970s Astrology Bucket HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor every Hermés lover! Circa 1970s, this bucket hat features the recognizable astrology motif designed by Francoise Faconnet and a band around the base of the crown. Created in 1963, the astrology motif was rereleased various times throughout the 1970s, 1980s and early 2000s, and “. . . is a fascinating interpretation of a 400-year-old celestial charting...Category
1970s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent Headscarf Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour perfect summer hat has arrived- with our amazing 1960s Yves Saint Laurent headscarf hat! Woven straw brim with purple and green stitching. Wrapped with blue, violet and green st...Category
1960s French Hats
- Bottega Veneta Straw Beret HatLocated in Scottsdale, AZIf you're a lover of Beret's than this is one to add to your collection. 1980's Bottega Veneta Beret straw hat featured with a metallic silver/white leather tassel. Dead stock with original tags. The perfect cap to style with your Chanel outfit and YSL handbag...Category
Late 20th Century Berets
- Pelush Faux Fur Neck Warmer/ Hat With Tridimensional Flower - One sizeBy Pelush - Luxury Faux FursLocated in Greenwich, CTThe Pelush faux fur neck warmer/hat is a one of a kind exclusive piece. Featuring the highest quality man made pelage, this elegant and unique scarf in mauve ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Hats
- Pelush Oversized Faux Coyote Hat - One SizeBy Pelush - Luxury Faux FursLocated in Greenwich, CTThe Olga oversized faux coyote hat is a one of a kind exclusive piece. Featuring the highest quality man made pelage, this over the top fur free hat makes a striking fashion statemen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Hats$298 Sale Price49% Off
- Mink Red and Navy Hat and Scarf SetLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The hat features blue and red mink hat with red silk lining and a matching blue mink scarf. Could be sold separately. Measurements: The hat - 11.5 inches high, 1...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Scarves
- 1960 Irene Of New York Fluorescent Floral Print Tufted Turban & Foulard Size MBy Irene of New YorkLocated in Gresham, OR1960 Irene of New York fluorescent floral print turban hat and matching foulard / neck scarf ensemble: In shades of pink, lavender and green. Size Medium. Originally sold at I. Magnin.Category
1960s American Hats
- William J. Black And White Ostrich Feather Saucer Style Hat With Boa, 1950sLocated in Gresham, OR1950s Rare William J. black and white ostrich feather saucer-style hat, with center, top button embellishment. Sold with a beautiful black and white feather boa that matches, but was not originally a set. William J. is better-known as famed street-fashion photographer Bill Cunningham. Before he became a full-time photographer, he was an avant garde hat...Category
1950s American Hats
- 1950s Black Velour HatLocated in Port Hope, ONGreat little hat with wire insert to keep its shape and discreet bow to the back. The material is velour and it still has its inside cord intact.Category
1950s French Hats
Recently ViewedView More
How Do You Authenticate and Care for an Yves Saint Laurent Handbag?
When it comes to the legendary French design house, there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Xupes shows us how to spot it.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery