- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermès Silk Scarf Twilly Colliers et Chiens Red White Beige in Box
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingEstimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: ., France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Hermès Silk Scarf Lévriers Greyhound Dogs Xavier de Poret White Blue 90 cmBy HermèsLocated in ., FRAbsolutely Gorgeous and Rare Authentic Hermès Scarf Pattern: Lévriers (Greyhounds Dogs) Designed by Xavier De Poret in 1970. This is a reissue Made in France Made of 100% Silk ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Scarves
- Hermès Cashmere and Silk Scarf Encadré Blason Natural 90 cmBy HermèsLocated in ., FRWarm and soft Authentic Hermès Scarf Pattern: "ENCADRE BLASON" Made in France Made of 70% Cashmere and 30% Silk Colorways: Naturel / Chocolat / Caramel "HERMES PARIS", no copyr...Category
- Hermès Silk Scarf Vintage Les Jouets Mobiles Moving Toys Yellow 90 cm RAREBy HermèsLocated in ., FRCute Authentic Hermès Vintage Scarf Would be beautiful framed in a baby room Pattern: "Les Jouets Mobiles" (Moving Toys) Made in France Designed by Nina Von Bistram Made of 100%...Category
20th Century Scarves
- Hermes Silk Scarf Chapeau Hat Blue Pink 90 cmBy HermèsLocated in ., FRRARE AND GORGEOUS AUTHENTIC HERMES SCARF Patter: "chapeau!" (Hat!) Made in France Designed by Annie Faivre in 1990 Made of 100% Silk Colorways: Blue, Pink, Blue Grey, ...Category
- Hermès Silk Scarf Ronds de Marches Horses Hubert de Watrigant 90 cmBy HermèsLocated in ., FRGorgeous Authentic Hermès Scarf Pattern: "Ronds de Marche" Designed by Hubert de Watrigant in 2017 Made in France Made of 100% Silk Colorways: PETROLE / GRIS / ROUGE (Oil Blue ...Category
- Exceptional Hermès Vintage Silk Scarf Diligences Par Temps de Neige RareBy HermèsLocated in ., FRExtremely Rare Authentic Hermès Scarf Pattern: "Par temps de Neige", "Neige" ou "Diligences dans la Neige" Designed by Hugo Grygkar in 1957 Made in France Made of 100% Silk Supe...Category
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Scarves
Early 2000s Scarves
Late 20th Century Scarves
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every Birkin is highly vetted.