- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Cartier Vintage Saturne 49MM Platine Solid Grey Lens France Sunglasses, 1990
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$49 Express Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 4-5 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces. It’s certainly one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord Holland1990 Cartier Saturne Sunglasses with grey (uv protection) lenses. All hallmarks. Cartier gold signs on the ear...Category
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandOriginal 1983 Cartier Louis Cartier Laque De Chine sunglasses with new honey brown lenses. All hallmarks. Red en...Category
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew from 1983!!! Cartier Aviator Vendome 59MM Heavy plated gold sunglasses with brown solid (uv protection) Lens...Category
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew from 1983!!! Cartier Aviator Santos Sunglasses with Brown Gradient (uv protection) Lenses. Frame is with th...Category
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Cartier unique rimless titanium sunglasses with dark grey (uv protection) lenses. Frame with the front and...Category
- By CartierLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew 1990 Cartier Segur 54MM Sunglasses with brown (uv protection) lenses. All hallmarks. Cartier gold signs on ...Category
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Sunglasses
15 Scintillating Jewelry Watches to Elevate Your Holiday Style
Watchmakers have tucked their movements into all manner of precious baubles, from lapel pins to cocktail rings. The result is dazzling, wearable art that will get you to the party on time.
How to Spot a Fake Cartier Love Bracelet
Our guide will teach you the telltale traits of fake Cartier Love bracelets.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery