Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Heart Tassel Earrings 1980s Romantic
View Similar Items
Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Heart Tassel Earrings 1980s Romantic
- DimensionsHeight: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- Material Notesgold tone metal
- Seller LocationToronto, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: AU121128140230
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Yves Saint Laurent evening dresses, shirts, handbags and other clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Yves Saint Laurent Navy Blue 8.5 Rhinestone Vintage Heels Shoes Avant GardeBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL navy blue heels! Avant Garde detailing, with 'wings' at each outer side. Triangle rhinestone detail that ac...Category
1980s Italian Heels
- New Vintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL Pink + Purple Logo Workout TowelBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CABrand new never worn vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT pink, purple and white logo workout towel! Step up your gym game with this statement piece! Tired of sporting LuLu Lemon...Category
Late 20th Century Scarves
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Iconic YSL Jumbo 55 x 55 Cotton Shawl Parero DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAIconic vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent lightweight cotton jumbo shawl scarf / parero! Iconic question mark print in vibrant tones of raspberry, black green and white. Can be worn drap...Category
1970s French Scarves
- New Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent YSL Suede Heels Pumps Sz 37By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VATom Ford For YSL Heels Brand New * Stunning Suede In Purple * Tom Ford's Final Years w/ YSL * Iconic and Impossible to Find New * Unique Scalloped Sides & Heel * Leather Insole * Op...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes$956 Sale Price25% Off
- New Yves Saint Laurent by Stefano Pilati YSL Runway Suede Heels Pumps Sz 36.5By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VAStefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent Debut Collection * Highly Collectible & Rare * Brand New * Suede Heels * Own a Piece of Fashion History! * Stunning Plum Velvet * Size Euro: 36...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes$895 Sale Price45% Off
- New Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent YSL Lotus Heels Final Collection 2004 Sz 37By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VAYves Saint Laurent Heels Brand New * Tom Ford Era Lotus Slides * This was his last collection for Yves Saint Laurent. He was inspired by the Chinese Collection of 1977 * Own a Piece of Fashion History His Final Collection for YSL 2004...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes$1,075 Sale Price34% Off
Recently ViewedView More
How Do You Authenticate and Care for an Yves Saint Laurent Handbag?
When it comes to the legendary French design house, there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Xupes shows us how to spot it.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery