- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO black shearling coat
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Oakland, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Now renowned for chic womenswear as well as luxury leather handbags that are often recognized for their iconic gold-tone fastening and hardware, French fashion house Celine got its start in children’s shoes.
In 1945, Céline Vipiana and her husband, Richard, opened a made-to-measure shoe shop for children at 52 rue de Malte in Paris. Designer Céline’s name graced the business, alongside a red elephant designed by French cartoonist Raymond Peynet that served as the company’s first logo. In 1967, following an expansion into women’s shoes and leather accessories, the Vipianas decided to expand their company’s reach into women’s ready-to-wear, focusing on high-end sportswear. Céline Vipiana, who remained chief designer until her death in 1997, would oversee a range of fashion that would reach an international audience with a pared-down elegance and timeless style.
The company quickly achieved widespread success with its new offerings, most notably its trench coat, which became a staple for the brand. In the 1970s, they expanded outside Paris with boutiques in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong. In 1973, Céline Vipiana, inspired by chain links around the Arc de Triomphe, debuted the Blazon Chaîne motif of interlocking C’s. She began using it on a printed canvas and branding as well as accents on accessories, such as the Triomphe bag.
Vipiana’s designs were created to appeal as everyday fashion: Celine skirts, suits, fitted shirts, vests and coats were stylish but rooted in practicality. Quality, too, was paramount; Vipiana’s determination to deliver the best possible leather led to the opening of a studio in Florence, where the brand created its leather goods.
Vipiana died a year after her brand was acquired by Bernard Arnault’s luxury conglomerate LVMH for about $540 million. American designer Michael Kors then took the helm as creative director. Kors, too, was known for practical but chic ready-to-wear. He introduced such luxury staples as cashmere sets, smartly tailored pants and simple slip dresses, plus themed collections around jet-setter locales like Monte Carlo and Tahiti. Following Kors’s departure in 2004, onetime Burberry designer Roberto Menichetti took the job for just a year. He was followed by designer Phoebe Philo, the young British designer who is now credited with establishing Celine’s 21st-century style.
Philo created a distinct, minimal style that channeled the brand’s roots of practical simplicity with luxury materials. (“I just thought I’d clean it up,” she quipped of her debut collection in 2010.) Over the course of ten years, Philo turned the company into a beloved fixture of the fashion industry. In 2018, after Philo’s departure, the house tapped Hedi Slimane, former creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, as its new leader; he caused a stir when he famously removed the accent from the brand name. Controversial though it was, Slimane maintained it was a return to the label’s roots: an exercise in strong simplicity.
Find vintage Celine day dresses, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO navy blue brushed cotton trench coatBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CANavy-blue, brushed-cotton, trench coat with unique button closure designed by Phoebe Philo. French size 38. Approximate measurements: drop shoulder 19", bust 38" (adjustable), waist ...Category
2010s French Coats
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO charcoal grey black leather sleeve crombie coatBy Phoebe Philo, CelineLocated in San Fransisco, CACharcoal grey crombie coat with black lambskin leather sleeves designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Labeled a French size 40 which best fits a size S or M. Approximate measurements: ...Category
2010s Italian Coats
- new 2014 CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO navy hooded cashmere jacket with patch pocketsBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CADarkest navy, double-faced cashmere jacket with hood and patch pockets designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine as seen in the pre-fall collection of 2014. French size 38. Approximate mea...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO navy draped coat with hood - resort 2016By Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CAOversized navy and off-white striped coat with hood designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine dating to resort of 2016. French size 34 however this coat has a very oversized fit. Approxima...Category
2010s French Coats
- Celine By Phoebe Philo army green anorak jacket in polished cottonBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CAArmy green anorak jacket in polished cotton designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. French size M. Approximate measurements: shoulder 16" (however no defined shoulder), bust 48", waist ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Anoraks and Parkas
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO cashmere coat with extra long belt - newBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CAHeathered-oatmeal cashmere coat with extra long belt and patch pockets designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Belt can be worn long or wrapped around twice. French size 36. Approximate...Category
2010s Italian Coats
- CELINE by Phoebe Philo spring 2014 Graffiti Print CoatBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in Beverly Hills, CACeline by Phoebe Philo Spring 2014 Graffiti Print Knit Coat in Yellow, Red and black. Coat is in excellent condition. Marked size 36 Fit size 4/6/8Category
Early 2000s Coats
- OLD CELINE PHOEBE PHILO black nude leather lace open side peep toe bootie EU40.5By Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in Hong Kong, NTOLD CELINE PHOEBE PHILO black nude leather lace open side peep toe bootie EU40.5 Brand: Celine Designer: Phoebe Philo Model Name / Style: Open bootie Material: Leather Color: Black, ...Category
2010s Italian High Heels$245 Sale Price30% Off
- CELINE c.2010's Black Cream Denim Abstract Animal Print Flare Jeans PantsBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in Thiensville, WIBrand / Manufacturer: Celine Circa: 2010s Designer: Pheobe Philo Style: Straight leg pants Color(s): Shades of black, cream Lined: No Marked Fabric Content: "100% cotton" (primary fa...Category
2010s Unknown Jeans
- Céline by Phoebe Philo Resort 2010 Cotton Zip Detail SkirtBy Phoebe Philo, CelineLocated in Brussels, BEWhen Phoebe Philo started designing for Céline, she craved structure and sharp lines in her work, empowering women with her personal take on wardrobe staples. This skirt may appear s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirts
- Céline by Phoebe Philo SS-2010 Cotton Deconstructed Trench SkirtBy Phoebe Philo, CelineLocated in Brussels, BEThe first pieces English designer Phoebe Philo conceived for the House of Céline are pure fashion gold, expressing her unique sensibility, which pairs sartorial refinement with utili...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirts
- OLD CELINE PHOEBE PHILO white cotton wrap self tie darted midi skirt XSBy Phoebe Philo, CelineLocated in Hong Kong, NTOLD CELINE PHOEBE PHILO white cotton wrap self tie darted midi skirt XS Brand: Celine Designer: Phoebe Philo Model Name / Style: Wrap skirt Material: Unknown; feels like cototn Color...Category
2010s A-Line Skirts$350 Sale Price30% Off