Chanel New Paris / London Runway Maxi Tweed Coat
View Similar Items
Chanel New Paris / London Runway Maxi Tweed Coat
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Chanel CC Turnlock Royal Blue Cashmere CardiganBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, AEStunning Chanel CC Turnlock royal blue cashmere cardigan, Size mark 38 FR. Pristine condition.Category
2010s Coats$1,955Free Shipping
- Chanel Byzance CC Jewel Buttons Runway CoatBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, AEMarvellous Chanel lesage tweed coat with jewel Gripoix buttons from Runway of Paris / BYZANCE Collection. Retailed for over 10,000$ Size mark 48 FR. Pristine condition.Category
2010s Coats$3,798Free Shipping
- Chanel Lilly Allen Style Trench CoatBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, AEFamous Chanel trench coat as seen on Lilly Allen. - CC logo silver-tone buttons at front and cuffs - signature braided trim Size mark 34 FR, comes as oversized.Category
2010s Trench Coats$2,076Free Shipping
- Chanel Kris Jenner Jewel Buttons Tweed CoatBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, AEStunning Chanel khaki tweed coat from Paris / SALZBURG Collection. As seeon on Kris Jenner! Retail price was over 8,000$. Size mark 42 FR. Condition is pristine. - masterpiece jewel ...Category
2010s Coats$3,591Free Shipping
- Chanel 9K Lesage Tweed Black and Turquoise CoatBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, AEChanel black and turquoise coat made of most precious Lesage tweed! From Catwalk of 2017 Spring '' Data Center '' Collection, retail price over 9,000$. - CC logo charm at side, full ...Category
2010s Coats$2,457Free Shipping
- Brand new european chinchilla fur size MLocated in Montreal, QuebecDESCRIPTION : BRAND NEW EUROPEAN CHINCHILLA FUR SIZE M : Vibrant blue grays, supple skins, short collar, beautiful fresh fur, european german clasps for closure, too slit pockets, ...Category
2010s Canadian Coats
- Brand New sheared Mink Fur Coat reversible size 10 (M)Located in Montreal, QuebecPRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Brand New sheared Mink Fur Coat reversible size 10 (M) Condition: Brand New Closure: Buttons Color: demi buff Materi...Category
Early 2000s French Coats
- Gianni Versace 90's XS - L black leather suede shearling bondage coat jacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGianni Versace A very rare oversized coat from the 90's bondage collection Black suede with leather trim and fully lined in shearling Hooded Large gold medusa emblems Closes via two...Category
1990s Italian Hooded Jackets
- Gucci Black Tuscany Shearling Leather JacketBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis Gucci jacket is made of soft black Tuscany lamb fur We offer more Gucci, Hermes and exclusive Fur items, view our frontstore. Details: Made of black soft quality shearling, W...Category
20th Century Italian Coats and Outerwear$1,137 Sale Price20% Off
- Black Velvet Gold Embroidered CoatLocated in Amsterdam, NLUnique vintage coat made of black velvet with gold embroidered items on front, sleeves and the back. It has 4 velvet buttons, no pockets and should...Category
20th Century Unknown Coats and Outerwear$616 Sale Price20% Off
- Black Persian Lamb Fur BoleroLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis vintage sleeveless bolero is made of black persian lamb trimmed with black leather and is reversible, the other side is suede leather. Its in pre-lov...Category
20th Century Coats and Outerwear$401 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.