Comme des Garcons Asymmetric Belted Wool Coat
View Similar Items
Comme des Garcons Asymmetric Belted Wool Coat
Marked a size Medium.
Belt Length: 32"(first hole)- 35 1/2"(last hole)*
Shoulder Width: 18"
Sleeve Length: 23 1/2"
Center Back Length: 44"
Sleeve Length: 22"
* Belt length determines waist size.
- DimensionsMarked Size: M (JP)
- Place of Origin
- Material NotesWool
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: AU1010261699
About the Designer
Comme des Garçons
Comme des Garçons is one of the world’s most innovative and trailblazing fashion brands, helmed by its inimitable founder, Japanese designer Rei Kawakubo (b. 1942), who has a penchant for breaking fashion and cultural norms. The only living designer apart from Yves Saint Laurent to have a retrospective at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, Kawakubo has permanently changed fashion with designs that challenge traditional ideas of beauty with a creative and transgressive exuberance.
After studying art and literature at Keio University in Tokyo, Kawakubo worked as a freelance stylist before establishing her own label in 1973, opening her first store in Tokyo in 1975. Kawakubo has since been instrumental in pioneering many concepts now familiar in contemporary fashion. One of her most iconic moves was her introduction of androgynous styles (Comme des Garçons means “like the boys” in French) with asymmetrical, twisted silhouettes that envelope the body. While she told the New York Times that the “basics of clothing lie in men’s fashion,” Kawakubo believes in the concept of humanness in clothes, such as titling her spring 1995 show “Transcending Gender.” In the 1970s, when color-blocking was the norm, Kawakubo stuck to her monochromatic color palette dominated by shades of black with uncompromising dedication, although with evocative and powerful use of red and white.
Comme des Garçons is also known for an often shocking take on fashion. Deconstructed tailoring, violently slashed fabric and sculptural shapes are some themes that run through the brand’s collections, but Kawakubo never explains the meaning of her conceptual pieces, which fall somewhere between art and fashion. Even though the brand has more commercial offshoots like PLAY, known by the iconic heart motif with eyes, the premier men’s line Homme Plus and the multilabel Dover Street Market that opened in 2004, the essence of Comme des Garçons remains Kawakubo’s otherworldly and undefinable creations, which are impossible to ignore.
Find vintage Comme des Garçons shirts, jackets, day dresses and other clothing on 1stDibs.
- Comme des Garcons Tricot Black White Dress Coat Early 1980sBy Rei Kawabuko, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Berlin, DEComme des Garcons Tricot playful 3D checkered pattern dress coat from early 1980s collection. Front button closure, round collar back / front. Size : Measurements ; Waist : 39 cm ...Category
1980s Japanese Day Dresses
- Comme des Garcons Tricot Asymmetric Black Coat AD 1999By Rei Kawakubo, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Berlin, DEIncredible Comme des Garcons Tricot coat from AD 1999. It has various silhouettes by turning shawl collar front piece as scarf or lowering. With one front button closure. Size : Fr...Category
1990s Japanese Coats
- Comme des Garcons Jacket Coat AD 1988By Comme des Garçons, Rei KawakuboLocated in Berlin, DEComme des Garcons jacket / coat from AD 1988. The half of front panel has been removed, leaving tail like back panel. The coat front is cons...Category
1980s Japanese Jackets
- COMME des GARÇONS Homme Medium Full Length Wool CoatBy Comme des Garcons Homme, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Bridgehampton, NYCOMME des GARÇONS Homme Full Length Navy Wool Coat 3 Button Closure Mens Medium Made in JapanCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Trench Coats$425 Sale Price40% Off
- Comme Des Garcons "Chic Punk" Doll Coat, Autumn Winter 1991By Rei Kawabuko, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictMuseum level piece from the iconic A/W1991 runway, Comme Des Garcons by Rei Kawakubo. Retail for 190000 JPY the piece is perfect for both those who looking for a winter coat or tho...Category
1990s Japanese Dolman Sleeve Coats
- Comme Des Garcons X Supreme Polka Dot Logo Print Men's HoodieBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Downey, CAComme Des Garcons X Supreme Polka Dot Logo Print Men's Hoodie The Comme Des Garcons x SUPREME polka dot box logo pullover hoodie is another fine example of the minimal styling and a...Category
2010s Japanese Hooded Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery