Courreges Couture Future Vintage 1970's Pink Structured Wool Coat
View Similar Items
Courreges Couture Future Vintage 1970's Pink Structured Wool Coat
- Dimensions:Length: 42 in (106.68 cm)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Style:1970's (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Please see photos for details.
- Seller Location:Carmel, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU41710244742
About the Manufacturer
Revolutionary couturier André Courrèges made a name for himself on the buzzy Paris fashion scene of the 1960s with audacious Space Age designs that pointed to the future. The world of haute couture credits him with toppling the conservative standards assigned to feminine clothing back then and propelling a movement that celebrated a more revealing brand of women's attire — including chic miniskirts, his iconic white ankle boots and often whimsical dresses with necklines that turned heads.
While vintage André Courrèges suits, jackets and other apparel garnered the designer ample praise, he wasn’t confined to producing clothing. He is also widely revered for creating some of the era’s most stylish accessories, like his offbeat, goggles-esque sunglasses and distinctive scarves, which boasted lively patterns and an alluring range of Pop art colors and pastels.
Born in the French Pyrenees, Courrèges wanted to become an artist at an early age, but his father steered him into engineering. Though successful as an engineer, Courrèges pivoted to fashion. He moved to Paris and worked briefly for couturiere Jeanne Lafaurie. In 1948, he took a job with Cristóbal Balenciaga, and within a couple of years, he had ascended to the role of Balenciaga’s first assistant.
While working for Balenciaga, Courrèges met dressmaker Coqueline Barrière, whom he would later marry. In 1961, the couple established their own fashion house, where they collaborated as creative partners for the remainder of the designer’s life.
Courrèges was among the designers who ushered in the rise of ready-to-wear. He favored figure-hugging silhouettes and geometric shapes, and looked to the work of architect Le Corbusier — a like-minded proponent of simplicity and clean lines. Alongside innovators such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin — the latter's futuristic looks were catnip for the free-spending consumers of the postwar years — Courrèges explored ways to outfit women with comfortable everyday wear, working with forward-looking materials such as plastic and polyvinyl chloride in his unadorned dresses of stark white. Mexican socialite and Harper’s Bazaar editor Gloria Guinness, pop star Françoise Hardy and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were among some notable names to wear Courrèges originals.
By the mid-1960s, Courrèges had risen to the top of his industry, and there were many imitators. He took strict control of production at his namesake label, only allowing distribution through licensed sellers. He and Coqueline sold off part of the company in 1968 to L'Oreal, and by the early 1970s, Courrèges had more than 100 boutiques worldwide, also expanding into fragrances and menswear. In 1983, the couple restored themselves to full ownership of the company and in 2011 sold the company to French advertising executives Jacques Bungert and Frédéric Torloting. Artémis, which controls the global luxury group Kering, acquired a minority stake in the Courrèges brand in 2015 and took full control three years later.
- Tom Ford Gucci Black Shearling CoatBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Carmel, CATom Ford for Gucci Black Shearling zip front black Fur Coat w/ Belt. Features, drop waist, shiny gold zip closure, suede outer with fur trim, fur interi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats
- Vintage Gucci Brown Waterproof Silk JacketBy GucciLocated in Carmel, CAVintage Gucci jacket featured in brown with concealed button closures along the front, decorative straps along the side with gold tone metal insig...Category
Early 20th Century French Coats and Outerwear
- Victorian Black Beaded Collar Circa 1890'sLocated in Carmel, CAAmazing Victorian Collar in a black tapestry-like fabric with delicate beading throughout the front and back. Collar has hook-and-eye fastenings and a full lining. It is condition for the age with few loose beads...Category
Late 19th Century Unknown Coats and Outerwear
- Obiko Art to Wear Silk Embroidered DusterLocated in Carmel, CABurnout velvet duster is featured in neutral tones with a black embroidered trim along the opening and at the cuffs. Duster has embroidered roses throughout, pockets at the waist, th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Coats and Outerwear$960 Sale Price33% Off
- Don Loper Original 1950's Black Slipper Satin Evening CapeBy Don LoperLocated in Carmel, CADon Loper Beverly Hills draped evening cover-up cape. Very glamorous and minimal. Nice draping through the shoulders. Large bow on front. Excellent ConditionCategory
1950s American Capes
- Philipp Plein Printed Cotton-Canvas Parka JacketLocated in London, GBUpdated style of a military field jacket, Philipp Plein's parka jacket is complete with oversized cargo pockets for a truely authentic feel. This cotton-canvas style is cut for a loo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- 1930S Peach Silk Tie Front Bed Jacket With Embroidered Net Lace TrimLocated in New York, NY1930S Peach Silk Tie Front Bed Jacket With Embroidered Net Lace TrimCategory
1930s Car Coats
- 2000S ALEXANDER MCQUEEN Silk Brocade Frock Coat Jacket From The Shipwreck ColleBy Alexander McQueenLocated in New York, NY2000S ALEXANDER MCQUEEN Silk Brocade Frock Coat Jacket From The Shipwreck Collection IrereCategory
Early 2000s Car Coats
- Vivienne Westwood SS1991 "Cut, Slash & Pull" Silk JacketBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVivienne Westwood stands alone in the nexus between pop culture and fashion — her finest works rendered inextricable from the legendary punks which donned them. Initially drawn to th...Category
1990s Coats and Outerwear$4,050 Sale Price25% Off
- 1940S Orange, Brown & Green Tropical Cotton Twill Men's Hawaiian Surfer Fish PriLocated in New York, NY1940S Orange, Brown & Green Tropical Cotton Twill Men's Hawaiian Surfer Fish Print Swim ShortsCategory
- BOGLIOLI Size 46 Moss Textured Wool / Polyester Double Breasted CoatBy BOGLIOLILocated in San Francisco, CABOGLIOLI coat comes in a moss textured wool / polyester featuring a notch lapel, slit pockets, back belt, and double breasted closure. Minor wear. Made in Italy. Good Pre-Owned Cond...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Coats
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery