Dior Silk Taffeta Ruffled Opera Wrap
View Similar Items
Dior Silk Taffeta Ruffled Opera Wrap
- DimensionsDepth: 32 in (81.28 cm)Length: 96 in (243.84 cm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- Material Notessilk taffeta
- Seller LocationTopanga, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: AU11041251691
About the Designer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
- Christian Dior Black Wool Tweed and Fur Coat Jacket Size 40By Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size FR 40, US 8. Featuring 97% pure virgin wool in black color and 100% mink fur collar detail, tweed style and lightweight fabric with four black large Dior...Category
Late 20th Century French Coats and Outerwear$2,320 Sale Price20% Off
- Black Silk Trench By Hedi Slimane For Dior HommeBy Hedi Slimane, Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRHedi Slimane for Christian Dior Homme black silk Trench Coat featuring black leather belt and shoulder free leather details, side pockets, double breasted with logo buttons. It is f...Category
Early 2000s French Trench Coats
- Christian Dior Monsieur Trench CoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Hudson, NYThe Christian Dior Monsieur Trench Coat offers timeless style and luxury. Crafted from 100% wool, it features a detachable, lined interior for enhanced c...Category
Late 20th Century French Trench Coats
- Black evening silk taffetas cape with ruffles Christian Dior BoutiqueBy Christian DiorLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack evening silk taffetas cape with double lays of ruffles edge SIZE / From 38 to 42 ( M/L)Category
Late 20th Century French Capes
- Spring 2004 RTW Dior by John Galliano Draped Leather JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZA stunning double-breasted leather jacket from the softest lambskin leather, with the most impeccable ruching and draping, that gives a very flattering silhouette. The jacket is dec...Category
Early 2000s Coats and Outerwear
- Christian Dior ocelot fur coat size 10By Christian DiorLocated in Montreal, QuebecPRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Brand new luxurious Christian Dior Ocelot fur coat Condition: Brand New Closure: Buttons decoration Belt: buckled belt wit...Category
1970s French Coats
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery