- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermes Sellier Cashmere Cape with Fringe
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Moschino Graphic Organza DusterBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis graphic Moschino 90s duster will make you feel feminine and fashionable with ease. This can be thrown over a basic dress and heels for a night out, over your Sunday hang-out clo...Category
2010s American Shawls
- Missoni Vintage Multicolor Oversized CoatBy MissoniLocated in Scottsdale, AZGive it up for the most amazing vintage Missoni coat! From the 1980's, in great condition, this is ready for a new home. This highly textured and ultra-plush coat will get you throug...Category
1980s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Sheared Faux Fur 1960s Pea CoatLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your winter looks with this gorgeous coat! Circa mid to late 1960s, this mid-length pea coat is made of black faux fur and features a sheared swirl motif. Includes shiny blac...Category
1960s American Coats and Outerwear
- Purple Mongolian Lamb 1980s Oversized Fur JacketLocated in Scottsdale, AZTake on the cold weather in style! Circa 1980s, this oversized jacket is made of soft purple dyed Mongolian lamb and features a tonal rabbit fur trim around the entire hem and cuffs....Category
1980s Unknown Fur Puffer Coats
- Chanel 2017 Runway Embellished Black/Gold JacketBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZA jacket straight off the Runway as this is a rare and coveted find! This jacket is simply immaculate! Not only is this beautifully embellished, printed, and embroidered, but has a g...Category
2010s French Coats and Outerwear
- 1960s Black Lace Dramatic Bell Sleeve CoatLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis jacket is for those of you with a flair for the avant-garde! Amazing 1960s bell sleeve coat! Solid black backing with an overlay of intricate matching black lace covering the en...Category
1980s American Coats and Outerwear
- F/W 1991 Hermès Paris Cosmos Print Reversible Blue Gold Silk Windbreaker JacketBy HermèsLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous reversible blue printed silk windbreaker jacket crafted by Hermès for the house's Fall/Winter 1991 runway collection. One side features Philippe Ledo...Category
1990s French Jackets$2,662 Sale Price25% Off
- HERMES x Martin Margiela Black 'H' Leather Women's Coat JacketBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition Leather Silk Lining Size FR 44 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets$6,340 Sale Price20% Off
- Hermes Jacket Marine Deerskin Leather Riding Influence New w/ Tag 42/8By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a beautifully shaped Hermes jacket featured in Marine Deerskin. Collar is smooth Black Lambskin for an elegant contrast. Four (4) mirror buttons with Hermes name. T...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Hermes Reversible Zip Cardigan Hoodie Black 36/ 4 NewBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Hermès Reversible Zip Cardigan featured in Black on Black. Warm with hood and quilted cotton, wool and plume canvas. Virgin wool with Losanges and H motifs. Reve...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Hermes Jacket Vintage Iridescent Quilted Parka Lush Fox Hoodie Trim 6By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a guaranteed authentic vintage Hermes iridescence quilted drawstring with lush fox trimmed hoodie. A bronzed olive tone to the brown. Quilted with stylized stitchin...Category
1980s French Coats
- Hermes Vintage Les Fetes Du Roi Soleil Remarkable Reversible Jacket 38By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Hermes dramatic reversible silk Les Fetes Du Roi Soleil wadded jacket. Striking balloon hem with drawstring waist and box pleat detail. Black with brillian...Category
1990s French Anoraks and Parkas
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.