Valentino Vintage Mens Navy Coat
About the Item
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Doncaster, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Gianni Versace Vintage 1980s Black Suede JacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA fabulous vintage womens Gianni Versace womens suede jacket from the 80s. This wide sleeved jacket is a great example of Gianni's earlier work wh...Category
1980s Italian Coats
- Castelbajac Ko & Co Vintage Black Wool Avant Garde Color Block Coat, 1980sBy Castelbajac, JC DE CASTELBAJACLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens overcoat from the early 80s by luxury French fashion designer, JC De Castelbajac. This coat is an earlier design in Castelbajac's career - for h...Category
- Akris for Bergdorf Goodman Vintage Dark Blue Velvet Zip Front Jacket, 1990sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA chic vintage womens jacket from the 90s by luxury Swiss fashion house, Akris for high end department store, Bergdorf Goodman. In a deep midnight blue velvet, highlighted with beaut...Category
- John Rocha Mainline Vintage Mens Crochet Cut Out Grey Linen Shoulder Pads CoatLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage mens coat from the early 2000s by luxury Hong Kong born fashion designer, John Rocha for his mainline (not to be confused with the inf...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- Mens Vintage Half Norfolk Herringbone Wool Tweed Jacket Coat, 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn excellent and rare vintage Dhobi mens half norfolk style jacket from the 70s. In a wool herringbone tweed fabric with an exaggerated collar, two large patch pockets on the front a...Category
1970s English Jackets
- Vintage y2k Fuchsia Pink Suede Laser Cut Out Womens Biker Jacket, 2000sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens jacket from the late 90s / early 2000s in a fuchsia suede with incredible circular laser cut outs throughout...Category
Early 2000s Coats
- F/W 2006 Christian Dior John Galliano Bronze Leather Pirate Cut-Out JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good (no flaws on the outside) label has light discoloration from an at...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Missoni Vintage Multicolor Oversized CoatBy MissoniLocated in Scottsdale, AZGive it up for the most amazing vintage Missoni coat! From the 1980's, in great condition, this is ready for a new home. This highly textured and ultra-plush coat...Category
1980s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Purple Mongolian Lamb 1980s Oversized Fur JacketLocated in Scottsdale, AZTake on the cold weather in style! Circa 1980s, this oversized jacket is made of soft purple dyed Mongolian lamb and features a tonal rabbit fur trim around the entire hem and cuffs....Category
1980s Unknown Fur Puffer Coats
- John Anthony Black Sequin JacketBy John AnthonyLocated in Scottsdale, AZSnag this beautiful piece of John Anthony today! This is a very rare one of a kind and unique find that you need in your wardrobe! Zoom in on this jacket to not miss the intricate details. This is a highly textured black satin material is covered in beautiful black beading. It has a mock-neck collar with an optional hook closure, a mid-length, and a 3/4 arm length with wide sleeves. Pair this great jacket with Louis Vuitton heels, and a Balenciaga dress with an interesting and modern silhouette. About the designer: John Anthony founded John Anthony, Inc in 1971 after attending Academia delle Belle Arti in Rome, and the Fashion Institute of Technology. He had high-profile clients like the wives of U.S. presidents, including Betty Ford...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- John Galliano brown leather twisted off-shoulder jacket, fw 2000By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano brown leather jacket ▪ Off-shoulder ▪ Bias cut panels ▪ Front button closure ▪ Asymmetric hemline ▪ FR 42 - UK 14 - US 8 ▪ Fall-Winter 2000Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery