- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980s Christian Dior Couture Blue Silk Dress
- DimensionsLength: 70 in (177.8 cm)Marked Size: 4 (US)Bust: 32 in (81.28 cm)Waist: 29 in (73.66 cm)Hip: 35 in (88.9 cm)
- Style1980s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU55013456152
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- 1990s Christian Dior Grey Tweed DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GBThis fabulous Christian Dior grey tweed dress is from the 1997 autumn / winter collection and right after a young John Galliano moved across from Givenchy to become creative director...Category
1990s French Formal Wear
- 1960s Christian Dior Patron Original Wool Crepe DressBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBThis is the little black dress by one of the most revered fashion houses of all time and during Marc Bohan's time as head designer. He took over as creative director from Yves Saint...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses$2,995Free Shipping
- 1970s Harry Algo Printed Green & White Silk Chiffon Dress With Ruffle NecklineLocated in London, GBThis charming 1970s printed silk chiffon dress in seafoam green and white, is labelled Harry Algo, Paris, and is in beautiful vintage condition. The dress is a simple shift cut, with...Category
1970s French Summer Dresses
- 1950s Blue Floral Wiggle DressLocated in London, GBThis original 1950s dress has a super feminine silhouette and nicely executed details such as the small, square neckline that features a modesty panel with a sailor collar and bow. T...Category
1950s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- 1950s Aquamarine Textured Cotton Dress With Floral Rhinestone AppliqueLocated in London, GBThis enchanting late 1950s American prom style strapless dress in soft aquamarine textured cotton has a classic feminine aesthetic and is beautifully constructed to showcase an hourg...Category
1950s American Day Dresses
- 1950s Riddella Green Blue and Pink Floral Cotton DressLocated in London, GBThis lovely Riddella 1950s or early 1960s cotton dress with abstract floral print in green blue and pink is vivacious, versatile and a great choice for the Summer. It features prince...Category
1960s British Day Dresses
- Mark Bohan for Christian Dior Couture Numbered Gown 1970sBy Christian Dior, Mark BohanLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful blue silk charmeuse gown from Marc Bohan for Christian Dior Couture. The neckline is square, framed in rows of top stitched bands. The body of the floor length dress is ...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Christian Dior Black White Polka-Dot Silk Bustier Plunge Mini DressBy Christian Dior, Gianfranco Ferré for Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning Christian Dior numbered Paris boutique polka-dot stretch hourglass dress dating back to the spring-summer 1990 collection. Christian Dior designed under his own name for o...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior Color Block Silk Dress with Cut outBy Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous grey and silver fine silk dress from Christian Dior. It is sleeveless with a crew neckline and a ruched silver front bodice with a cut out at the bottom. The grey skirt ...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior Paris Little Black Dress in Cashmere Silk Blend w Leather RuffleBy Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is an incredible Christian Dior cashmere, wool, silk knit blend sheath dress with a leather ruffled trim. This chic sleeveless dress has a bateau neckline and closes with a side...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1970s Christian Dior By Marc Bohan Hiroshige Wave Silk Chiffon Vintage 70s GownBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CAAbsolutley stunning rare 1970s vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by MARC BOHAN hiroshige wave novelty print silk chiffon evening gown maxi dress ! Features a beautiful print in vibrant colors o...Category
1970s French Evening Gowns
- 1960s Christian Dior Ethnic-Inspired Knit Maxi Dress w/ Fringed Midriff & HemBy Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in San Francisco, CAA wonderful late 1960s Christian Dior ethnic-inspired purple, black and tan light-weight knit maxi dress with free floating top overlay, scalloped and fringed sleeves, midriff and he...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.