- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Belted Mini Dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Laguna Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Shirt DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's New with Tag black silk button up shirt dress with a wool crepe skirt and wide attached belt from PACO RABANNE.Category
1980s Day Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black and White Psychedelic Print Shirt DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Paco Rabanne black and white silk psychedelic print long sleeve shirt dress with a wool crepe skirt and an attached wide belt. New with Tags.Category
1980s Sheath Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Gold Silk Mock Neck Belted Mini DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CAGold silk sleeveless mini dress with a mock neck and hidden back zipper featuring an attached tonal wide belt from PACO RABANNE 1980's collection. New with Tag.Category
1980s Day Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne White Velvet Buckle DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's Paco Rabanne white stretch velour mini dress with a square neckline and three metal buckles at the chest. New with Tags.Category
1980s Mini Dresses
- 1980's Paco Rabanne Black Silk Mock Neck Belted Mini DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CA1980's New with Tag Paco Rabanne black silk mini dress with a mock neck and attached patent leather wide belt. Back zipper closure.Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- Paco Rabanne Black Short Sleeve PoloBy Paco RabanneLocated in Laguna Beach, CAClassic black polo from vintage Paco Rabanne is 100% viscose. IT has one small breast pocket.Category
1990s Blouses and Tops
You May Also Like
1990s Day Dresses
2010s Day Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Casual Dresses
20th Century Day Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Aesthetic Day Dresses
1980s Maxi Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
1960s Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Formal Gowns
1970s Casual Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery