Chloe S04 strapless plisse green silk chiffon layered bustier midi length dress
About the Item
A part of the Left Bank intellectual crowd who shared her mother’s fondness for fashion, Chloé cofounder Gaby Aghion was inspired to empower independent working women to break from the conservative dress of the 1950s and don more free-spirited, feminine designs that were appropriate for both work and social life.
Born in Alexandria, Egypt, Aghion established her fashion house in Paris in 1952 with her business partner Jacques Lenoir to develop her own source of income, separate from her husband’s. She was one of the first designers to embrace the concept of luxury prêt-à-porter as a middle ground between haute couture and off-the-rack for the masses.
In 1964, Aghion hired a fledgling Karl Lagerfeld as a designer. The pair would bring Chloé into the international spotlight with their easy yet glamorous lines that drew such fans as Jacqueline Kennedy. Lagerfeld became the staff creative lead at Chloé in 1974 and stayed with the brand until 1983, during which time he became known for his romantic silk dresses that continued Aghion’s feminine vision and were a favorite of the “rich hippie” set. In 1988, then-unknown designer Martine Sitbon took the helm of Chloé for several years before Lagerfeld returned as creative director from 1992 to 1997, drawing all of the iconic 1990s supermodels to his runway.
After his second departure, Chloé tapped yet another early-career designer to lead the label: a punky 25-year-old Stella McCartney, who earned the position not because of her famous lineage (she’s the daughter of Paul and Linda McCartney), but because of her fashion education at Central Saint Martins and work experience on London’s Savile Row and at Christian Lacroix. Following McCartney’s exit to launch her own line in 2001, Chloé named Phoebe Philo to the post.
Under Philo’s leadership, Chloé expanded from women’s clothing to an accessories line — including handbags — and debuted the legendary Paddington bag in 2004. The padlocked satchel, notorious for weighing a hefty three pounds while empty, became one of the “It bags” of the decade (the brand’s double-handled Marcie holds its own in that regard); the entire 8,000-bag initial production run sold out via preorders.
Philo left Chloé in 2006; her successors include, among others, Clare Waight Kelle and Natacha Ramsay-Levi, who announced that she would be departing the house in late 2020. Part of Chloé’s decades-long lasting influence — which we’d like to speculate would appease Aghion greatly — is the brand’s dedication as a career-launching platform for newbie designers, particularly women.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Paris, France
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana D&G wool sleeveless body con leopard print black brown dressBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Paris, FRD&G by Dolce and Gabbana brown leopard print dress Sleeveless tank style cut Stretch fabric with a body con fit Square neckline Midi length Concealed back zip Size: IT 44 Compositi...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses
- Vintage cottagecore prairie cotton white red floral print halter backless dressLocated in Paris, FRA beautiful vintage dress most likely from the 1970's Cottagecore style maxi length dress in white with red, yellow and green floral print Halt...Category
1970s Maxi Dresses
- Chloe black white abstract floral print flared gypsy style babydoll mini dressBy ChloéLocated in Paris, FRChloe babydoll style mini dress in black and white abstract print Flared sleeves and skirt Ruffle trim to the hemline and cuffs Button ...Category
2010s Malagasy Babydoll Day Dresses
- Vintage floral print lilac sheer puff sleeve maxi dressLocated in Paris, FRVintage full length dress in lilac with pink, yellow and green floral print Sheer puff 3/4 length sleeves Cinched waist Full double layered s...Category
1970s Unknown Maxi Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta 2007 Runway Look Brown Ruffle Trim Sun DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta brown pencil dress with raw edged ruffle trim. Grosgrain trim circles the bodice. Boned at bodice for shape. Back zip and hook and eye. Seen in another color in L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- Adolfo 1970s Three Piece Red and Metallic Midi or Maxi Skirt and Tank Dress SetBy AdolfoLocated in San Francisco, CAThree piece vintage Adolfo burgundy red and metallic floral brocade skirt(s) and top set, circa 1970s- 80s, ensures you're set for any occasion! Pair the the bodice with the long ski...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- Richard Tyler Couture Autumn Floral Printed Silk Chiffon DressBy Richard Tyler Couture, Richard TylerLocated in New Hope, PARichard Tyler has chosen an interesting micro pleated autumnal silk chiffon for this chic cocktail dress. This gives the dress enough room to just slip on over your head. It has a ro...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- Carven Long Velvet Dress, Circa 1975By CarvenLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1975 France Long dress with loose skirt and brown velvet with golden glitter glued in geometric patterns and houndstooth. Open shirt collar on narrow and rectangular chest. Z...Category
1970s French Cocktail DressesFree Shipping
- 1970s Louis Feraud Couture Tan Lace Floral Embroidered DressBy Louis FeraudLocated in San Francisco, CALouis Feraud 1970s haute couture light brown lace dress in a 1920s style drop waist silhouette. Amazing embroidered lace and hand finished seam allowa...Category
1970s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Bill Blass Pink Metallic Sequin Long Sleeve GownBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 70s Bill Blass Pink Metallic Sequin Long Sleeve gown. Zipper at the back. Some missing sequins but not significant. Bust: 36 inches Size: SM-MEDCategory
1970s American Evening Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?