- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
A Christian Dior Haute Couture Evening Dress by Marc Bohan Circa 1975
- DimensionsMarked Size: Equivalent french size 36/38. (EU)
- Style1975 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Excellent condion and color .
- Seller LocationToulon, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU63334183663
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- A Christian Dior-Marc Bohan Little Black Dress numbered 15843 Spring Summer 1982By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 1982 Collection France Haute Couture or cocktail little black dress in muslin and Caudry lace from the designer house Christian Dior directed by Marc Bohan. Straight d...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- A Miss Dior Evening Dress by Philippe Guibourgé Circa 1970By Miss Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1968 - 1972 France Elegant long evening dress signed "Miss Dior" by Philippe Guibourgé around 1970. Very beautiful stretch black silk crepe allowing a heavy drape that moves w...Category
1960s French Maxi Dress
- Christian Dior Ball Gown in black tulle & satin appliqué N° 363404 Circa 1955By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1955 France Evening dress in black satin bias appliqué on black tulle signed Christian Dior Boutique numbered 363404 Circa 1955. Transparency effect with several layers of wh...Category
1950s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Christian Dior/Gianfranco Ferré Couture Pink Chiffon Dress Circa 1990By Christian Dior, Gianfranco Ferré for Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1989 - 1990 France Cocktail dress in raspberry pink silk muslin from Dior-Gianfranco Ferré. Bodice inspired by 1940's Fashion, fully corseted and lined with matching chiffon ...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- A French Jacques Heim Haute Couture Dress numbered 15365 Circa 1950By Jacques HeimLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1950 France Long dress in black silk faille with moiré effect by Jacques Heim. Embroidered with circles of iridescent metal pink sequins, edges bordered with sequins. Under s...Category
1950s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Long Evening Black Dress by Claude Montana - French Circa 1999By Claude MontanaLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1999-2001 France Sober and elegant long black dress for the evening by Claude Montana from the Blu collection launched by the designer in 1999 (in connection with his fascina...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
20th Century French Evening Dresses
Early 2000s Italian Informal Dresses
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
2010s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery