Jean Paul Gaultier Color Block Maxi Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 8 (US)Shoulder to Hem: 55 in (139.7 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5115119163
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Valentino Silk Dress with Lace InsetsBy ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYAn incredible black silk dress by Valentino. It is sleeveless, semi fitted with a solid silk skirt and diamond shaped panels over the bustline. There are angular bead enhansed black...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Anne Klein Bell Sleeve Column Dress with Beaded Trim 1990sBy Anne KleinLocated in Water Mill, NYA sophisticated simple black wool column maxi dress by Anne Klein. It has a crew neckline and long bell sleeves both finished with 2" of rows of black glass tubular beads. The dress ...Category
1990s American Maxi Dresses
- Gucci New Silk Dress with Cut outs and HardwareBy Gucci, Frida GianniniLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black silk jersey dress from Gucci. It has a simple neckline, long zipper cuff sleeves and cut outs at a shoulder and side waist plus a front slit in the straight skirt. The skirt slit and shoulder cut out are highlighted with gold metal Gucci embossed...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Karl Lagerfeld Silk Dress with Lace Cut outsBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning fine silk wool blend black dress by Karl Lagerfeld. A lace panel inset surrounds the waist, hem, upper back and sleeves from above the elbow to wrist. It has a bateau nec...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Moschino Wrap Car Wash Hem Maxi DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Water Mill, NYA black dress in a fine silky knit from Moschino. It is maxi length with a wrapped bodice, ruched band at the hips and fabulous skirt with a car wash hem comprised of 6 panels open t...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace New Leather Dress with Chain TrimBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous soft supple black leather dress from Gianni Versace. It is semi fitted with an asymmetrical neckline and intricate horizontal rows of fine silver chain forming a line sta...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty DressBy Moschino Jeans, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 18.1...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet Dress From 1989 Collection. Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black DressBy Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 18...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Shiro Kuramata, Glas ItaliaLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$47,035Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery