Lanvin 2013 Alber Elbaz Sleeveless Gray & Black Metallic Animal Print Dress
About the Item
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Vintage Dress by Emanuel Ungaro Parallele in Bright Floral Silk PrintBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Portland, ORThis Emaunel Ungaro Parallele dress is in a wonderful bright bold floral silk print. The dress fits very loosely and can be worn with or without its fabric tie. The beautiful floral ...Category
1970s Italian Day Dresses
- 1980s Pierre Cardin Black Vintage Dress W Button Details Lined In SilkBy Pierre CardinLocated in Portland, ORThis is a vintage Pierre Cardin take on the little black dress! This black wool crepe shift dress has two rows of snaps crossing diagonally from the left shoulder and waist to the un...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Norma Kamali 1980s Black Velvet Vintage Oversized Dress With Snaps on SideBy Norma KamaliLocated in Portland, OROur obsession with Norma Kamali continues with this fabulous vintage 1980's oversized black velvet cozy style evening dress! Norma Kamali was designing athleisure styles before the...Category
1980s American Informal Dresses
- 1993 Christian Lacroix Vintage Midnight Blue Dress W/ White Soutache EmbroideryBy Christian LacroixLocated in Portland, ORThis is a stunning vintage Christian Lacroix sleeveless dress in a rich denim or midnight blue linen rayon blend. The dress has gorgeous white soutache style embroidery and two functional front pockets. The dress closes with a hook and eye above metal zipper that extends down the center back seam. There is metal waist "boning" down each seam with 4 total and the dress is fully lined. Estimated size: XS and Made in France and labeled a French size 34. Christian Lacroix pink label...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Navy Blue Cotton Carven Dress With Ruching Pockets & Open BackBy CarvenLocated in Portland, ORThis is a really wonderful Carven dress with a unique wrap style, ruching and an open back. This navy blue cotton dress closes with a side zipper and the ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Hungarian Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace Fall 1997 Runway Vintage Black Pink & Chartreuse Green Knit DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Portland, ORGianni Versace Couture Fall/Winter 1997 vintage black wool blend knit sleeveless dress with pink and chartreuse design at bustline. Fully lined, the dress closes with a back zipper a...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses