- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
A Lanvin Printed Jersey Dress by Jules-François Crahay - France Circa 1972
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Equivalent size 38 France (EU)
- Style:1972 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very Good Condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU633314141742
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- A Jeanne Lanvin Couture cocktail Dress, Circa 1965By Jeanne LanvinLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1965 France Elegant cocktail dress in black gazar and thin stripes gold, vermilion, gray and garnet-colored from the famous Maison Lanvin directed by Jules François Grahay sin...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses$1,214Free Shipping
- A Maggy Rouff Haute Couture black satin and velvet Evening Dress, Circa 1935By Maggy RouffLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1935 France Haute Couture Evening Dress Haute Couture Maggy Rouff in black satin and velvet from 1935. Jacket with round neck, collar and lapels of black velvet sleeves, puff s...Category
1930s French Aesthetic Day Dresses$2,429Free Shipping
- French Evening Dress in Smocked Jersey Circa 1990Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Long evening dress in black strech silk jersey from the 90s. Skin-tight cut at the level of the bustier flaring from the waist leaving a fluid and loose skirt. Gathered neckline in V-shape, bat sleeves...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses$364Free Shipping
- A Rochas Silk Set by Alessandro Dell'Acqua - Spring Summer Collection 2016By Alessandro Dell'Acqua, RochasLocated in Toulon, FRReady-to-Wear Spring Summer 2016 Collection Passage n° 32 France A Rochas dress and top set in silk by Alessandro Dell'Acqua - Spring / Summer 2016 Re...Category
2010s French Babydoll Day Dresses$1,270Free Shipping
- A Pierre Cardin Black Couture Jersey Evening Dress Circa 1976/1978By Pierre Cardin, Pierre Cardin CoutureLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1976/1978 France Beautiful evening dress Pierre Cardin Haute Couture in black silk jersey dating from the late 1970s. Crew neck dress in stretchy black silk jersey, with long bat sleeves...Category
1970s French Evening Dresses$1,270Free Shipping
- A French Flowered Printed Chiffon Dress With Removable Skirt, circa 1950-1960Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1950-1960 France Unlabelled dress very good manufacturing, high-quality garment, chiffon flowers on green background. Short sleeves. Scarf neck can be tied. Fine pleated skir...Category
1950s French Casual Dresses
- Vintage 1967 Nina Ricci Haute Couture Documented Ruby Red Wool Mod JumpsuitBy Nina RicciLocated in Beverly Hills, CAStunning and very rare documented Nina Ricci haute couture jumpsuit dating back to her 1967 Fall-Winter collection. The French fashion house, known for its feminine, ladylike clothing, has long been the go-to for Parisian chic. To achieve Nina Ricci figure-flattering cuts, the seasoned dressmaker draped on a live mannequin, pinning and snipping with a couturier's care. This breathtaking tailored jumpsuit dress is a perfect example of this brand's genius. The bodice has lean 3/4-length sleeves with a gorgeous mock turtleneck and hourglass nipped waist. I adore the hidden side pockets and sculpted middle front pleat skirting. Such a unique yet timeless design. Measurements Bust:33-34 inches Waist:25 inches Hips:up to 40 inches Total Length:57 inches This Nina Ricci haute couture designer jumpsuit...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
- Pierre Cardin Red Wool Dress w/Channel Stitched Design Motif ca. 1970By Pierre CardinLocated in Studio City, CAA circa 1970 Pierre Cardin long-sleeved tomato red wool dress with channel stitched design motif. The A-line overdress features an eight-inch center front slit just above the hem, de...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- F/W 1977 Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture 'Les Chinoises' Documented Dress SetBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a well-documented piece of fashion history expertly crafted by a master couturier in his prime. Yves Saint Laurent designed this dress for his infamous and brand-defining 'Les Chinoises,' or 'Opium Couture,' collection. A version of this Cheongsam-inspired belted dress set debuted on the Fall/Winter 1977 Haute Couture runway in July 1977 and appears in Saint Laurent's original archival sketches, held by the YSL Museum in Marrakesh. This collection corresponded with the release of YSL's infamous Opium fragrance and featured the designer's dreamy interpretation of historical Chinese style elements. Marino Schiano, one of YSL's muses, wore a similar set to the "Yves Saint Laurent Presents Opium Perfume...Category
1970s French Evening Dresses$55,960 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage 1975 Madame Grès Haute Couture Rare Documented Silk-Jersey Cut Out GownBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture heavily pleated silk-jersey gown dating back to her 1975 Autumn-Winter collection. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning documented draped mocha brown gown has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. That color pop of beige really brings this dress to a new level. The seductive bodice has a low-cut halter style neckline with scrolling heavily pleated bands. My favorite design detail is the flirty cut-outs around the bodice which add so much sex appeal and interest. Flattering asymmetric hem columnar skirt with matching pleated waist belt. Grès had an extraordinarily long career. Through each decade, which encompassed huge changes in fashion, her work remained consistent and timeless. Any one of her elegant gowns...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Madame Grès Haute Couture Sculpted Silk Back-Bow Dress & JacketBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture sculpted black silk dress ensemble dating back to the early 1950's. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning set has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. The alluring bodice has a low-cut scoop neck with flattering short sleeves. My favorite designer element is the dramatic back bow with chic cut-out. The matching jacket has a shawl-like front with a stunning cropped back. I'd wear the jacket alone with other looks for a unique bolero option. The sculpted panel style skirting ,which looks incredibly hard to mold, reads so fresh to the modern eye...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage Lanvin DressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1980s strapless moire dress by Lanvin with black velvet bows detail. Fully lined with side metal zip and hook closure. Hidden side pockets. 53% ...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- 2006 LANVIN Black and Brown Mini Dress, Size 36By Lanvin ParisLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Black and brown wool dress designed by Lanvin in France, from 2006 collection. The dress features crew neck line, sleeveless, mini length, rear zip closure and ruf...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses$632 Sale Price20% Off
- Lanvin Navy Crown and Shield JL Logo Vintage Belted Shirt Dress, 1960sBy Lanvin ParisLocated in San Francisco, CALanvin vintage 1960s by Jules Francois Crahay navy blue long sleeve shirt dress with buttons to waist and belt. Features crown and shield design with Lanvin JL logos throughout in re...Category
1960s American Casual Dresses
- NEW LANVIN BLACK VISCOSE DRESS with RHINESTONES FLOVER FR 38 - 6By Lanvin ParisLocated in Montgomery, TXLANVIN Black viscose Dress Decorated with rhinestone flower FR Size 38 - US 6 Made in France New, with tags. 100% authentic guarantee PLEASE VISIT OUR STORE FOR...Category
2010s French Day Dresses
- Lanvin S/S 2007 Alber Elbaz Sz 38 Purple Rhinestone Encrusted Empire Waist DressBy Lanvin Paris, Alber ElbazLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful LANVIN Spring / Summer 2007 Ete by ALBER ELBAZ purple / aubergine / eggplant rhinestone encrusted empire waist dress ! Tailored bodice with a free flowing body. Large rhine...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Alber Elbaz Lanvin Purple & Black 2011 Novelty Print Cat Logo Dress W Raw EdgesBy Lanvin Paris, Alber ElbazLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a beautiful Lanvin silk dress with a monogrammed logo print and cat figure outlines. This dress would be easy to dress up for a speci...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery