Moschino Vintage "Cat Eyes" Black Velvet Dress 1990s
View Similar Items
Moschino Vintage "Cat Eyes" Black Velvet Dress 1990s
- Dimensions:Marked Size: L (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Nice, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU25921327373
About the Designer
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- Moschino Iconic Black Safety Pin Embellished Dress US Size 14By MoschinoLocated in Nice, FRMOSCHINO iconic safety pin embellished black dress as worn by KATE MOSS. Side hidden zipper closure. Label reads MOSCHINO CHEAP AND CHIC. Size tag reads : I 48 / D 44 / F 44 / GB ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Day Dresses
- Moschino Vintage Iconic "You Can Dress Me Up..." Bodycon Maxi Dress US Size 10By MoschinoLocated in Nice, FRMOSCHINO vintage rare 1990s iconic "YOU CAN DRESS ME UP BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE ME OUT !" black bodycon maxi dress with flocked lettering. Long sleeves. Label reads MOSCHINO Jeans Made ...Category
20th Century Italian Maxi Dresses
- Moschino Vintage Heart Dress US Size 8By MoschinoLocated in Nice, FRMOSCHINO vintage black dress featuring a large cut-out red velvet heart shaped breast. This dress features : - Black wool blend fabric. -...Category
20th Century Italian Day Dresses$524 Sale Price20% Off
- Moschino Jeans Vintage Country Rock Black Tulle Dress US Size 6By MoschinoLocated in Nice, FRMOSCHINO JEANS vintage "COUNTRY ROCK" black tulle dress featuring a tight bustier top with boning and eagle print, tulle skirt with ruffle bottom and...Category
20th Century Italian Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace Couture Vintage Halter Neck Knitted DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Nice, FRGIANNI VERSACE Couture vintage halter neck knitted dress. This dress strongly highlights the silhouette with a thick knitting ribbed structure and...Category
20th Century Italian Day Dresses$699 Sale Price20% Off
- Thierry Mugler Couture Vintage Iconic Angel Flacon Print Asymetric Halter DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Nice, FRTHIERRY MUGLER Couture vintage rare iconic angel flacon print asymetric halter dress. Spaghetti strap. Silver toned hardware. Back zippered closure. Label reads THIERRY MUGLER Cout...Category
20th Century French Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty DressBy Moschino Jeans, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 18.1...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Roman Centurion Gladiator Velvet Dress From 1989 Collection. Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black DressBy Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Cummerbund Button Down Wool Silk Black Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 18...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery