NEW Chanel Black Crochet Knit Dress including Slip Dress 38
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- UNWORN Chanel Charcoal Grey Cashmere Blend Skirt Top Set Ensemble as Dress 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHBodyhugging signature cashmere blend ensemble by Chanel Set of 2 pieces - skirt & top So versatile - can be worn together for a dress-like style or combined with other items A timele...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- CHANEL Avantgardistic Black Ruched Knit Dress 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years Wonderful knit "Chanel" logo plate on hip Simp...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Informal Dresses
- Missoni Metallic Lurex Crochet Knit Bodycon Fitted Dress 42By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHMissoni's sexy bodycon dress in the label's signature crochet knit lets you sparkle like a star Beautiful metallic crochet knit fabric Highlighted with a metallic-tone fabric insert...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- NEW Chanel Black Crochet Knit Woven Dress 42By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years So versatile - dress it up with a slip dress (...Category
2010s French Informal Dresses
- GUCCI by Tom Ford Crinkled Black Leather Dress Gown 38 S/S 2000By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful black GUCCI leather dress From GUCCI by TOM FORD SS 2000 MIllennium collection Made in Italy Simply slips on Softest,...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- NEW Chanel Black Crochet Knit Cocktail Dress LBD 36By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years 3D crochet knit Two front pockets CC logo butt...Category
2010s French Mini Dresses
- Vivienne Westwood Silk Velvet Draped Dark Grey DressBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOOD, Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Berlin, DEVivienne Westwood Red Label silk velvet grey mid-length dress. Velvet silk on the bias gives a flattering drape and fit. This beautiful asymmetrical dress has such an impact from all...Category
2010s British Day Dresses
- Diane von Fürstenberg Navy Lace Mini Dress, Size 8By Diane von FurstenbergLocated in Beverly Hills, CA- Floral lace motif - Gold tone rear zip closure - 3/4 sleeves length - Crew neckline on the front and v neckline on the backCategory
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Proenza Schouler Black and Multicolored Wrap Round Mini Dress, Size 6By Proenza SchoulerLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The dress is made out of 100% silk, it features geometric and abstract print pattern, v- neck line, long sleeves, mini length.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Day Dresses
- Vintage Carven Black Mid Lenght Long Sleeve Dress Size 38By CarvenLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size 38 Featuring 100% polyester fabric, long sleeves with slit, mid length, shorter on the front, longer on the back, rear zip closure. Made in Turkey.Category
Late 20th Century Turkish Formal Wear
- Loewe Black Maxi Dress, Size 42By LoeweLocated in Beverly Hills, CA- Long sleeves - Black shiny finish material - Crew neckline - Floor length - Detailed with white stitching and strings attached - Rear concealed zip closure - Made in ItalyCategory
2010s Day Dresses
- 2006 LANVIN Black and Brown Mini Dress, Size 36By Lanvin ParisLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Black and brown wool dress designed by Lanvin in France, from 2006 collection. The dress features crew neck line, sleeveless, mini length, rear zip closure and ruf...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery