- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Paco Rabanne Beaded Caftan Gown
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- 1970s Missoni Silk Wrap Dress with Rope BeltBy MissoniLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour Perfect Fall and Holiday Dress Has Arrived-with our silk Missoni wrap dress circa 1970s! Featuring a rich cherry red color which stands out against the unique and colorful abstr...Category
1970s Day Dresses
- 1960s Miss Magnin for I.Imagnin Bohemian Maxi DressLocated in Scottsdale, AZBeautiful vintage Miss Magnin for I.Imagnin maxi dress! Hermes orange bodice, with 3-D 'paisley and floral design mixed together to create a stunning vintage print. Around the waist ...Category
1960s Maxi Dresses
- 1980s Zandra Rhodes Abstract Motif Drop Waist Silk DressBy Zandra RhodesLocated in Scottsdale, AZLooking For The Perfect 80s Dress? Well It's Arrived! Circa 1980s, this Zandra Rhodes asymmetrical drop waist dress features a cream and black pattern of flowers, swirls and tribal i...Category
1980s Evening Dresses
- Leonard Paris 1970s Floral Print Silk Jersey DressBy LeonardLocated in Scottsdale, AZA beautiful 1970s Leonard Paris dress! Made from soft Silk Jersey, this dress features a water colored grey overall color with gradient pink floral motifs throughout. Inseam pockets,...Category
1970s Cocktail Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Silk O-Ring DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Scottsdale, AZShow off in this amazing Cavalli dress! Circa 1990s, this cream dress features open o-ring details complete with ruching throughout, an asymmetrical hem with pleating, a high neckl...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Bob Mackie and Ray Aghayan Beaded Chiffon Willow Tree GownBy Bob MackieLocated in Scottsdale, AZSnag this beautifully detailed and beaded set! Designed by Bob Mackie and Ray Aghayan, also known as Bob and Ray, were a design duo who worked in Hollywood designing clothes and cost...Category
1970s Formal Gowns
You May Also Like
2010s Day Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
20th Century Cocktail Dresses
1990s Day Dresses
1980s Day Dresses
1980s Sheath Dresses
1980s Day Dresses
1980s Mini Dresses
1980s Mini Dresses
1960s Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery