S/S 1992 Atelier Versace by Gianni Versace Strapless Bustier Mini Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: unknown (EU)Bust: 28 in (71.12 cm)Waist: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Style:18th century (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good- to just look at the dress it looks pristine but upon very close inspection there is a tiny faint mark by the hem and the smallest and faintest area of discoloration inside on the lining of the top.
- Seller Location:Yukon, OK
- Reference Number:Seller: 2754371774751stDibs: LU406216810462
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- S/S 1996 Gianni Versace Sheer Pearl Ivory Nylon Bodycon Medusa Logo DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1996 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- main label is missing FABRIC: Nylon & Spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42 MEASUR...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Marilyn Monroe James Dean Silk MOD Micro Mini DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1991 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Excellent FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 46- A-line MOD 60's style body so fits ...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier Butterfly Embroidered Red & Black Fringe Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Good- one tiny faint mark- please see last photo FABRIC: 100% Acetate COUNTRY MADE: It...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Sheer White Asymmetrical Halter Mini DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- Lining was removed and tags were re-attached. FABRIC: Viscose & Spandex COUNTR...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- F/W 1993 Gianni Versace Black & White Vertical Stripes Sheer Silk Long DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1993 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- faint mark - very minor- see last photo FABRIC: Silk & Spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- S/S 2005 Look 44 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Black Cut-out Draped Fringe DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2005 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Look #44 CONDITION: Good- light wear- no holes or stains! FABRIC: 100% rayon COUNTRY MAD...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Embroidered Cheetah Lace Up Silk Dress Tunic as seen on JLO XSBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Switzerland, CHRoberto Cavalli Main Line As seen on Jennifer JLO Lopez Finest silk printed with signature Cavalli cheetah theme Signed Roberto Cavalli on silk all over Leather lace up in front, can...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dress
- UNWORN Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Fan Signature Print Cocktail Dress 40By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning dress by Emilio Pucci. The striking print and style of this dress echoes the Twenties and its art deco style movement and has been brought up to date in this playful yet f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Outstanding 1920s Silk Chiffon Floral Dress with Original SlipLocated in London, GBThis enchanting 1920s silk chiffon floral print dress is delightfully feminine and in absolutely beautiful condition for a piece of this era with no flaws of any note. The dress has ...Category
1920s British Day Dresses
- Chloe S/S10 ivory white beige chiffon silk layered sleeveless wedding dress gownBy ChloéLocated in Paris, FRLook 29 from the Chloe Spring Summer 2010 runway collection Floor length silk gown in what one would call off white/ecru, or a very pale beige Sleeveless ...Category
2010s Unknown Wedding Dresses
- Celine Phoebe Philo cream ribbed stretch body con knitted sweater midi dressBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRCeline Phoebe Philo Resort 2017 A beautifully stretch fitted knit ribbed dress in cream as seen on Kim Kardashian Turned up hem Small slits to each cuff Midi length Wear in the day w...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses