- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
S/S 2001 Christian Dior John Galliano Shiny Brown Sheer Knit Bodycon Dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- S/S 2004 Christian Dior John Galliano Black 20's Style Drop Waist Silk DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano Please contact us for more images or information CONDITION: Good- no holes or stains FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY: France SIZE: F-38 ...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses
- F/W 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano Sheer Brown Knit Long Maxi DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Excellent FABRIC: 100% viscose COUNTRY MADE: France SIZE: French 36 with a ton of stretch! MEASUREMENTS; provided as a c...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- 2003 Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Plunging Extra High Slit Gown DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 2003 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good MATERIAL: Acetate & Viscose COUNTRY MADE: France SIZE: 38 MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy only- not a guarantee of...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses
- Vintage S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Velvet Chain Strap Backless DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway- second photo is Kate Moss wearing the dress in Harpers Bazaar CONDITION: Good- The original owner had a strap removed for a photo shoot. ...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1999 Atelier Versace Runway Patent Leather Crystal Embellished Mini DressBy Atelier Versace, Donatella VersaceLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 1999 Atelier Versace runway CONDITION: Good- no flaws! MATERIAL: Patent leather with blue, clear, purple and black crystals COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: None-haute couture...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- Vintage F/W 1997 Dolce & Gabbana Runway Sheer Black Knit Floral DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1997 Dolce & Gabbana CONDITION: Good- No holes or stains, just the strands aren't perfect in a few spots- it happens to all of these pieces- we've had several and all ...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Collector Asymmetric Leather Bondage DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CAJohn Galliano's 2000 collection for the House of Dior eighteenth-century inspired asymmetrically cut dress fashioned of black soft lambskin leather. Dress features a gathered pulle...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
- S/S 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano Diorissimo Print Denim Button Up DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a denim Christian Dior Boutique dress with a Diorissimo print, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2006 collection, this dress is constructed enti...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses$1,871 Sale Price25% Off
- S/S 2001 Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Knit Crochet DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an alluring crochet high-low Christian Dior dress, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2001 collection, this stunning knit dress features a cowl n...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses$3,746 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- S/S 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano Sheer Stretch Knit Black Flare DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black knit Christian Dior Boutique dress, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2006 collection, this beautiful stretchy dress features a sheer in...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses$2,246 Sale Price25% Off
- 2005 Christian Dior Black Leather Lace Coat Dress By John GallianoBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVery Soft Leather and lace Shirt Dress or can be worn as light coat Designed by John Galliano for Christian Dior. Dress comes with belt. Size: 6Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
- CHRISTIAN DIOR S/S 2006 JOHN GALLIANO Burgundy Button Front Ruffle Lapel DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Thiensville, WICHRISTIAN DIOR S/S 2006 JOHN GALLIANO Burgundy Button Front Ruffle Lapel Dress Brand / Manufacturer: Christian Dior Collection: S/S 2006 Style: Cocktail Dress Color(s): Shades of...Category
Early 2000s Italian Day Dresses$1,016 Sale Price40% Off
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.