Vintage 1980 Christian Dior Haute Couture Ivory Silk Pleated Drop-Waist Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 38 in (96.52 cm)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Silk, Pleastwork
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3091754683
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1968 Gucci Couture Cotton-Pique Striped Ivory Pink Mod Mini Tunic DressBy GucciLocated in Beverly Hills, CAEarlier Gucci garments are very hard to come by and this mini dress is breathtaking. As shown, this design from their 1968 collection came in logo, floral ...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1978 Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture Ivory Red Print Silk Dress & ShawlBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous Yves Saint Laurent ivory dotted red-clover print silk dress ensemble from his 1978 spring/summer collection. Such a rarity to find all three pieces together! The dress is so chic with the shoulder buttons and short puff-sleeves. I adore the matching ruffle-trim shawl wrap which is a stunning statement piece on it's own. The flattering nipped waist sash...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1978 Yves Saint Laurent YSL Haute Couture Ivory Print Silk Dress & ShawlBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Yves Saint Laurent designer dress ensemble from his 1978 Spring/Summer collection. Such a rarity to find all three pieces togeth...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Gypsy Rose Lee Custom Couture Ivory Lace & Pink Silk Victorian GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn absolutely gorgeous piece of American film and celebrity history. This breathtaking Victorian ivory lace and pink silk hourglass mermaid gown was custom-made and worn by the iconic Gypsy Rose Lee for her final on-camera performance in "Over The Hill Gang" before tragically passing away five months later. Gypsy Rose Lee was a hugely successful burlesque star, incorporating humor and intelligence into her act. She became extremely popular, even appearing at the last place anyone would expect, high society balls. Once she had conquered the stages of striptease, she decided to try her hand at movies. Her 1957 memoir was famously adapted into the 1959 hit musical 'Gypsy'! This stunning Victorian style lace gown custom made by the legendary Brooks Costume...Category
1960s American Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Givenchy Haute Couture Sapphire Blue Draped Silk Velvet DressBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGivenchy, the name itself evokes glamour, refined elegance, simplicity and style. Givenchy's trademark of sculpted lines and luxurious fabrics make his work easily recognizable. This gorgeous cocktail, dating back to his 1990 Fall-Winter runway collection, is a beautiful example of his brilliance. The fabric itself is a masterpiece; liquid silk velvet in the prettiest sapphire blue color. I adore the seductive criss-cross plunge bodice with lean, long zipper-wrist sleeves. The sparkling rhinestone-encrusted side buttons create the perfect amount of drama to this timeless piece. An hourglass nipped-waist skirt with side draping finishes this garment off with a perfect femme fatale vibe. It is an exquisite example of wearable luxurious from one of the most important houses of the modern era. Measurements Bust: 36-37 inches Waist: 26 inches Hips: up to 39 inches Sleeve Length: 24 inches Total Length: 46 inches This vintage Givenchy Haute-Couture 72436 numbered dress...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- Lanvin white grecian style washed silk crystal embellished wedding dress gownBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Paris, FRLanvin Paris Collection Blanche Resort 2011 A beautiful floor length grecian style loose fitting ivory gown with crystal embellished waist band that would w...Category
2010s Wedding Dresses
- Valentino 18 white aztec leopard print crepe cady low cut silk gown dress IT 38By ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRValentino Resort 2018 floor length dress in leopard print motif developed in collaboration with artist Sandra Rhodes Print in Burgundy, pink and green...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- 1960s White Sheer Embellished Cocktail DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1960s Sheer white netting sheath cocktail dress embellished with multi color beads in floral pattern. Size Medium- Large Measurement: Bust : 38” / W: 36”...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Ivory Chanel Crochet Knit Dress with Seafoam Trimming 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning crochet knit dress by CHANEL A timeless classic Featured in many editorials, seen on the runway and the AD campaign Off-white with seafoam-colored trimming on seam Chanel...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Edwardian Embroidered Linen and Lace White DressLocated in New Hope, PAThis vintage Edwardian Dress has all of the bells and whistles It has a square neckline, a left side of center front opening, three quarter len...Category
1910s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Late 1950s Early 1960s White Chantilly Style Lace Tiered Bridal GownLocated in London, GBThis pretty early 1960s or late 1950s white Chantilly style lace bridal gown has a fairytale charm. The man-made, Chantilly style lace overlay covers the dress in its entirety and fe...Category
1950s British Wedding Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.