Vintage MOSCHINO Denim Bustier Stripe Ruffled Frill Ruche Panel Dress
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic "Love Is In The Air" Embroidered DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic "Love Is In The Air" Embroidered Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Sleeves: 21.26 inch...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC British Military Style Novelty DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC British Military Style Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat: Shoulder: 16.53 inches (42 cm) Sleeves: 16.92 inches ...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO "Let's Twist Again!" Monochrome DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO "Let's Twist Again!" Monochrome Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Bu...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO Tulip Flower Pockets Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino JeansLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Tulip Flower Pockets Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 14.96 inches (38 cm) Bust: 17....Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Vintage S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Velvet Chain Strap Backless DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway- second photo is Kate Moss wearing the dress in Harpers Bazaar CONDITION: Good- The origi...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1980's Azzedine Alaia Sheer Green Off Shoulder Cut-Out DressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1980's Azzedine Alaia CONDITION: Good- no flaws FABRIC: Cotton-Rayon-Linen COUNTRY MADE: France SIZE: 38 but inner waist ba...Category
1980s French Casual Dresses
- Stella McCartney Black Midi Sheer and Pleated Lace Dress Size 42By Stella McCartneyLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAStella McCartney Black Midi Sheer and Pleated Lace Dress Size 42 Lace hem. Conforms the the body. NBW. New with tags. Retail $2185 Selling on Farfetch right now for $1093 Offering ...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen black Wool Midi Dress with jewel embroided chainsBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Bilbao, ESAlexander Mcqueen black Wool Midi Dress with jewel embroided chains Beautiful vintage cap sleeve merino wool dress from Alexander McQueen. Chain deta...Category
1980s Italian Chemise Dresses
- Rena Lange Black silk Corset with lace-up front off the shoulder necklineBy Rena LangeLocated in Bilbao, ESRena Lange Corset Corset features off-the-shoulder neckline, boned bodice, short sleeves, lace-up front and zip closure at back Bust: 30" Waist: 25.5" Length: 18" 100% Silk Size 40 ...Category
1990s German Corsets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery