Yves Saint Laurent Silk Print Halter Silk Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 50 in (127 cm)Marked Size: 36 (EU)Bust: 31 in (78.74 cm)Waist: 28 in (71.12 cm)Hip: 34 in (86.36 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Silk
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4266419042
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1970s Oscar De La Renta black and silver paillette dressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Oscar De La Renta long sleeve black dress with large silver pailletes. Size : 4/ Bust: 32"/ Waist: 28" Sleeve length 22" Length from...Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Chloe Silk Print Dress with nehru collar.By Karl Lagerfeld, ChloéLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Chloe silk floral print in red, purple, and brown with nehru collar with ruffle sleeves. Bust: 36”/ Waist: 27” Size: SmallCategory
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Galanos Brown Silk Gown Embellished in RhinestonesBy GalanosLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Galanos Brown Silk Gown with beaded embroidery. Bust: 34/ Waist: 27” / hip : 34” Size: 4/ small *** See stains and small tiny pin holes on left sh...Category
1970s American Wedding Dresses
- Yohji Yamamoto Navy Blue Crochet Beach Cover Up Dress, 1990sBy Yohji YamamotoLocated in Beverly Hills, CA90s Yohji Yamamoto navy blue crochet asymetrical dress Size: 2/4Category
1990s Japanese Day Dresses
- 1980s GIVENCHY Haute Couture Black Silk with Multi Color DotsBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CARare 1980s Givenchy haute couture black silk matelassé cocktail dress with asymmetrical neck line with multi color, irregular shaped dots in yellow, red, purple and green. On the fr...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Issey Miyake faux fur vest and skirt ensemble, A/W 2000By Issey MiyakeLocated in London, GB- Vest with emphasised breast panels and wrap design - Blanket wrap skirt with button closures - Faux fur / leatherette suede Autumn-Winter 2000Category
1990s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Worlds End by Vivienne Westwood checked wool 'Witches' dress, fw 1983By Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm Mclaren, Worlds EndLocated in London, GBIntroducing the Worlds End by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren 'Witches' dress, a groundbreaking and visionary creation from the Autumn-Winter 1983 collection. This exceptional ensemble features pointed sleeves, a striking design element that sets it apart from traditional fashion. The use of checked wool in navy, red, and cream showcases the brand's signature use of unconventional fabrics and bold colour combinations. The front pleats, uniquely held in place by wooden toggles, add a touch of avant-garde flair, reflecting the collection's deconstructed and transformative approach to design. A large draped...Category
1980s British Day Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Black Knit Serpent Brooch Detail Long Sleeve Dress SBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This gorgeous dress by Roberto Cavalli is a classic. Crafted from quality materials, this dress comes in black. It features a lovely silhouette and comes with long sleeves, a-line sk...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Olive Green Crepe Sequin Trim Maxi Dress MBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This stunning maxi dress by Roberto Cavalli will make sure you are the talk of the town. Crafted from a blend of quality materials, it comes in a stunning shade of olive green. This ...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Adele Simpson Vintage 1960s Geometric Wool Dress + Scarf Set 2-Piece EnsembleBy Adele SimpsonLocated in Sparks, NVDarling geometric wool dress and matching scarf by Adele Simpson. Details: Fully Lined Matching Scarf Back Metal Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size: Not Marked Estimated Si...Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Multicolor Stretch Jersey Draped V Neck Maxi Dress SBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This lovely maxi dress comes from the house of Roberto Cavalli. Crafted from quality materials, it flaunts a multicolored print throughout. It is styled to deliver comfort and effort...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery