- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1960s Bill Blass Creme Crushed Velvet Maxi Dress with matching Coat
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Medium (US)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 34 in (86.36 cm)Hip: 39 in (99.06 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Crushed velvet
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4266210762
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1990s BILL BLASS Brown Beaded Long Sleeves Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 90s Bill Blass Brown Printed Beaded Embellished metallic sequin long sleeve cocktail dress . Dress has elastic waist and fully lined in silk....Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage Bill Blass Green, Red and Gold Print Silk DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CABill Blass late 80s silk lame leopard print long sleeve dress with slit. Bust; 36” / W: 28’Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage 1980s Bill Blass Red and Black One Shoulder Sequin GownBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1980s Bill Blass Red and Black One Shoulder Sequin Gown sequin one gown with slit on the side. Sexy and Fun Vintage cocktail dress. B: 32-34" (fabric has some stretch) Wais...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- 1970s Bill Blass One Shoulder Black Silk Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Bill Blass one shoulder black crepe dress. Size: 4/6 Measurement: 35”/ Waist: 34” / Hip: 35” Dress length: 47” **small tiny flaw on ...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- 1970s BILL BLASS Black Long Sleeve Silk DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Bill Blass Black silk polkadots long sleeve maxi gown. Dress has nude lining. Size: small/ 4 Bust: 34 inches/ Waist : 26”Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- 1990s Bill Blass Peach Water Color Floral Print Strapless Flowy Silk DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1990s Bill Blass Peach Water Color Floral Print Strapless Flowy Silk Dress. Perfect Dress for Bridal or Summer Party Dress. Bust: 34 inchCategory
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1960S PIERRE BALMAIN Off White Rayon & Silk Crepe Modernist Gown With Draped BaBy Pierre BalmainLocated in New York, NY1960S PIERRE BALMAIN Off White Rayon & Silk Crepe Modernist Gown With Draped Back TrainCategory
1960s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Ivory Lesage Embroidered Silk Bridal Gown & JacketBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking fully-embroidered ivory silk gown with matching jacket, from their iconic 1982 fall-winter haute couture collection, is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Not only is this opulent creation very rare; it is so timeless and elegant. Fashioned from the highest quality fully-lined ivory silk, both pieces has exquisite hand-stitched metallic embroidery, embellished crystals and the finest tulle inserts in relief by the House of Lesage...Category
1980s French Wedding Dresses
- Armani Ivory White Silk Wedding Dress, 2000sBy Armani CollezioniLocated in Lugo (RA), ITA.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage - Italy Marvelous Armani silk and acetate wedding dress in ivory white color. It features a V neckline top, shoulder straps fastened behind the neck and is back...Category
Early 2000s Wedding Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana ivory silk fishtail wedding dress with large bow, c. 1990sBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana ivory silk fishtail wedding dress with large bow at rear c. 1990sCategory
1990s Italian Wedding Dresses
- Douglas Cream Silk Wedding Dress, 2000sLocated in Lugo (RA), ITA.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage - Italy Beautiful Douglas wedding dress in cream color with thin straps and wide skirt lightly pleated. The item was produced in the 2000s and is in excellent c...Category
Early 2000s Wedding Dresses
- Haute Couture Cream Medieval Cathedral Train Wedding Gown - Small, 1930sLocated in Tucson, AZWithout question, one of the most exquisite bridal gowns we have ever seen. Despite its 4 ½’ cathedral train, it is lighter in weight than most gowns half its length thanks to its whisper-light silk chiffon fabric. And with billowing bishop sleeves, 60 bodice and hip darts and a 2-ply ruffled neckline it would be fit for Guinevere’s castle. Ivory wedding gown...Category
1930s Unknown Wedding Dresses
- 1970s Bill Blass Multi-Layered Creme Silk Gown with Fur StoleBy Bill BlassLocated in Studio City, CA1970's Bill Blass creme silk multi-layered gown w/asymmetric waist ties that are attached at the waist via ruching and a separate fur and silk scarf/stole. Gown is in good vintage co...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1960's Galanos Couture Ivory Silk Satin Low-Plunge Long Sleeve JumpsuitBy Galanos, James GalanosLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Galanos Couture ivory-creme silk satin jumpsuit dating back to the mid 1960's. Dedication to excellence in craftsmanship and design w...Category
1960s American Jumpsuits
- Vintage 1950's Pierre Balmain Couture Creme Beaded Embroidered Silk Bridal GownBy Pierre Balmain Haute CoutureLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking mid-1950's creme silk satin ballgown attributed to Pierre Balmain. This iconic designer created a very sculptural quality which was always allied with a ladylike essence. His garments have a body and a shape of their own. This absolutely stunning French couture dress is fashioned from the most luxurious materials and of the finest craftsmanship, resembling Pierre Balmain's "Jolie Madame" collection. In 1947 he opened a boutique on the ground floor of his couture house, which he named "Jolie Madame". These pieces were not out-sourced nor factory mass produced. They were made a few at a time, in the designer's own workroom, exactly as if a client had ordered multiple duplicates of a couture design with Balmain's extraordinary workmanship still readily apparent. The bodice is a seductive fully-boned twisted knot shelf-bust with gorgeous pleating. Sumptuous embroidery and beadwork add sensational 3-dimensional richness to the silhouette. The hourglass drop-waist full skirt construction finished this ballgown with the perfect ethereal vibe. I totally see this satin couture show-stopper gliding down the red carpet. Measurements Bust:33-34 inches Waist:25 inches Hips: Free Sweep Total Length:60 inches This couture ballgown...Category
1950s French Ball Gowns
- Oscar de la Renta Sequined and Chiffon GownBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in New York, NYOscar de la Renta, taupe colored, chiffon,gown with a bateau neckline, and a spiral, silver sequin overall pattern embellishment.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Gowns
- Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner Lace Dress and Matching Coat with Lace SleevesBy Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner, Bill BlassLocated in New Hope, PAThis is a great example of the early work Bill Blass did for Maurice Rentner in the 1960's. The dress has glittering jeweled straps above an Empire waist. The white tape lace A line...Category
1960s American Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Bill Blass 1960s Silk Velvet Gown and CapeBy Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner, Bill BlassLocated in Water Mill, NYAn incredible black silk velvet gown and cape by Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner. The sleeveless gown is cut simply skimming the body flaring subtly to the hem. It is enhanced with a...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Unusual Bill Blass Bicolor Crepe Balloon JumpsuitBy Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in New York, NYUnusual Bill Blass Bicolor Crepe Balloon Jumpsuit from the 1960's designed for Maurice Rentner. Heavy silk blend crepe in sherbert pink and mint which wraps and ties at shoulder wit...Category
1960s American Jumpsuits
- Bill Blass Pink White Polka Dot Hand Painted Fit and Flare Vintage Dress, 1990By Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CAChic 90s BILL BLASS pale pink and white hand painted polka dot fit n' flare cocktail silk taffeta dress! Features large handpainted polka dots throughout. Attached white lace underla...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses$790 Sale Price20% Off
- Bill Blass Vintage Red and Gold Silk Lurex Asian Inspired Gown, 1970sBy Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing and super rare vintage 1970s BILL BLASS gold metallic lurex and silk evening dress! Bright red abstract silk designs throughout, with the ones on the sleeve a semi sheer silk...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- Bill Blass 1980's Gingham Print Halter DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Cloverdale, CABill Blass 1980's Festive Gingham Print Halter Dress Size 6 Bust 34" Waist 26" Hips 40" Length 38" Excellent pre owned conditionCategory
1970s American Cocktail Dresses$400 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery