- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1970s BILL BLASS Black V Neck Sequin Gown with Ostrich Feathers
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- 1970s Bill Blass Black Lace and Silk Tafetta Maxi DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1970s Bill Blass Black Lace long sleeve dress with silk taffeta skirt and black ribbon sash. Perfect for black tie event. Size: Medium Bust: 36 inches/ waist: 28 inches/ Dres...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- 1970s BILL BLASS Black Long Sleeve Silk DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Bill Blass Black silk polkadots long sleeve maxi gown. Dress has nude lining. Size: small/ 4 Bust: 34 inches/ Waist : 26”Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- Vintage Bill Blass Black Silk Tafetta GownBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Bill Blass Black Silk taffeta gown with wrap around shoulder. Size: 2/ Small Bust: 32” / Waist: 24”/ Length: 51” *** there is some distressed on the fabric, but very minor ...Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- 1980s Bill Blass Black crepe ruffle vintage cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CASexy and chic Vintage Bill Blass 1980s little black crepe dress with ruffle V neck line and exposed back. This dress is trimmed in rows of black organza and lace ruffles. The dress ...Category
1980s American Mini Dresses
- 1970s Bill Blass One Shoulder Black Silk Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Bill Blass one shoulder black crepe dress. Size: 4/6 Measurement: 35”/ Waist: 34” / Hip: 35” Dress length: 47” **small tiny flaw on the skirt ( see image #6)Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage 1980s Bill Blass Red and Black One Shoulder Sequin GownBy Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1980s Bill Blass Red and Black One Shoulder Sequin Gown sequin one gown with slit on the side. Sexy and Fun Vintage cocktail dress. B: 32-34" (fabric has some stretch) Wais...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- Bill Blass Black Babydoll Dress Size 8By Bill BlassLocated in Beverly Hills, CABill Blass Black Babydoll Dress Product details: Black striped textured pattern Featuring spaghetti straps, measure 6" on the front and 10.5" on the back One pocket on each side R...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Babydoll Dresses$675 Sale Price25% Off
- BILL BLASS c.1980’s Gray Black Color Block Long Sleeve Fitted Knit Sheath DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Thiensville, WIBILL BLASS c.1980’s Gray Black Color Block Long Sleeve Fitted Knit Sheath Dress Circa: 1980’s Label(s): Bill Blass Designer: Bill Blass Style: Long sleeve fitted sheath dress Color...Category
1980s American Sheath Dresses$356 Sale Price40% Off
- Bill Blass Vintage Chocolate Brown Tiered Silk Party DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVElegant chocolate brown tiered silk party dress by Bill Blass. Simple and chic. Details: Fully Lined Matching Belt Back Zip and Hook Closure Estimated Size: Small-Medium Co...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Black + White Lace Strapless Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage black lace cocktail dress with white tambour embroidery by Bill Blass. Details: Fully Lined Back Zip and Hook Closure Strapless Marked Size: 6 Estimated Size: S-M ...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses$275 Sale Price44% Off
- Bill Blass Vintage Metallic Gold & Blue Sequin + Beaded Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage blue satin cocktail dress with metallic gold sequin and beaded bodice by Bill Blass. PLEASE NOTE: There is some overall wear and slight loss of metallic finish to some of ...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses$95 Sale Price72% Off
- Bill Blass for Saks Fifth Avenue Ruched Brown Jersey Knit DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVBrown jersey knit dress by Bill Blass Drop waist and balloon sleeves Unlined Side Pockets Back Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size: 8 Estimated Size: 8 Color: Medium Ash Brown F...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Dresses and Gowns$120 Sale Price68% Off