1970s Halston Silk Rayon Sleeveless Chic Vintage 70s Little Black Dress
About the Item
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1960s Cavanagh's Couture Black Silk Shantung Rhinestone Beaded Vintage 60s GownLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful early 1960s CAVANAGH'S black silk shantung rhinestone and beaded black gown / dress ! Features thousands of hand-sewn black seed beads and rhinestones around the neck and u...Category
1960s Hong Kong Evening Gowns
- 1950s Demi Couture Black Silk Cut - Out Chic Vintage 50s Cocktail DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1950s demi couture black silk cut-out cocktail dress! Features a fitted bodice and forgiving skirt. Low cut back features a large bow that snaps on one side. Full metal zipper u...Category
1950s Cocktail Dresses
- Randolph Duke 1990s Size 8 Black Jeweled Rhinestone Vintage 90s Gown DressBy Randolph DukeLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful RANDOLPH DUKE 1990s black silk jersey and mesh 3/4 sleeves evening gown ! Features nude mesh on the back with hundreds of hand-sewn rhinestones. Hidden zipper up the side. ...Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- 1980s Jeanette Kastenberg Gold Sequins Black Lace Vintage 80s Flapper DressBy Jeanette KastenbergLocated in San Diego, CAPretty vintage 80s ( 1985 to be exact ) JEANETTE KASTENBERG 1920s 20s flapper style gold sequin cocktail dress with attached black lace overlay. Kastenberg’s collaboration with the S...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Odicini Couture Black Velvet Rayon Beaded Large Size Long Sleeve DressBy ANDREA ODICINI COUTURE, Odicini CoutureLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage ODICINI COUTURE larger size black velvet and rayon beaded long sleeve dress ! I scooped this beauty up in Rome last year ( b...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Tom Ford for Gucci Olive + Khaki Zebra Safari Print Silk Off Shoulder DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in San Diego, CATOM FORD for GUCCI olive green and khaki zebra print silk chiffon and leather asymmetrical off the shoulder dress ! Features adjustable leather strap at top back left shoulder. Hidde...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Unworn Alexander McQueen Cape Back Black and Red Floral Poppy Print Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk crepe dress with red poppy floral print. Sweeping back cape is attached at the side seams. Short sleeve with a wide ruffle hem. Back zip is concealed by ...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?