- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1990 Bill Blass Persimmon Silk Crepe Column Gown w Asymmetrical Neckline Detail
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 8 (US)
- Style:Classic Chic (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:United States
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5018144802
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Gresham, OR
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1960 Bill Blass Documented Floral Print Silver Brocade Gown W/Rhinestone BeltBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CA1960 Bill Blass Documented Floral Print Silver Brocade Gown W/Rhinestone Belt. Wild botanical print border design is stunning! Beige silk taffeta lining, large balloon sleeves w/ broad cuffs. Rhinestone buckle belt with a full long maxi skirt...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses
- 1970 Bill Blass Ombré Polka Dot Silk Chiffon Gown in Taupe and PinkBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CAA slinky, gorgeous 1970s Bill Blass ombre polka-dot silk chiffon gown: A beautiful taupe to pink ombre 4-layer flowing skirt with a spaghetti strap...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- 1980 Bill Blass Black Silk Crepe One-Shoulder Gown w/ Lace Skirt and Fuchsia BowBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CAA fantastic late 1970s to 1980 Bill Blass black silk crepe one-shoulder evening gown with a black lace flared skirt. At hip is a wide band of fuchsia silk taffeta side-slung structur...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- 1980 Bill Blass Matisse Print Silk Chiffon Overlay & Matching Shift Dress SetBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CA1980s Bill Blass beautiful Matisse-inspired floral print silk cocktail dress with matching silk chiffon overlay. This 2-piece ensemble is cut in a 1920s shift style and is sooooo chi...Category
1980s American Mini Dresses
- 1990 Bill Blass Butter Yellow Cotton Twill & Navy Blue French Lace Mini DressBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CA1990s Bill Blass butter yellow cotton twill strapless cocktail dress with gorgeous French navy blue lace overlay: Bodice is quite structured for superb shaping and security, having ...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Bill Blass 2 Tone Silk Charmeuse Dress In Mauve and Burnished GoldBy Bill BlassLocated in San Francisco, CAA gorgeous 1990s Bill Blass 2-tone silk charmeuse dress in mauve and burnished gold: Bias cut with buttons down the side, this beautiful dress features a burnished gold satin side-s...Category
1990s American Evening Dresses
- UNWORN Pink Versace Asymmetric Draped Goddess Engagement Evening Gown Dress 38By VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous blush pink evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Asymmetric style Beautiful draped details Silk trail on ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Wedding Dresses$1,999 Sale Price42% Off
- John Galliano for Christian Dior Blush Pink Silk Seam GownBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning Christian Dior gown in a pale pink silk. A long sleeveless silhouette it has an asymmetrical neckline and seaming. The dress skims the body through the hips, then becomes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Gold Sequin GownLocated in London, GBA had turning gold sequin vintage gown. The dress has a v neckline, boning ( could be removed ), mermaid like train with detachable detail on the back ....Category
1980s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1980s Bill Blass Satin Floor Length Evening GownBy Bill BlassLocated in Austin, TX1980s Bill Blass Satin Floor Length Pleat Front Bodie Evening Gown Condition: Excellent Blue and yellow size M / us 6 27.25" bust, 29.5" waist, 3...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- Vintage 1960s Malcolm Starr Light Pink Sleeveles Silk Shift DressBy Malcolm StarrLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Jackie Kennedy style Vintage 1960s pale pink silk shantung column gown with silver beads and rhinestones. Perfect for cocktail party. Fit Size: SMALL - Medium Measurement:...Category
1960s American Evening Gowns
- Two Bill Blass Couture Beaded Tops. New Still Retaining Their Original PricetagBy Bill Blass, Bill Blass for Neiman MarcusLocated in Buchanan, MITwo Bill Blass Couture Beaded Tops. New Still Retaining Their Original Pricetags. Priced Per Top. THE FIRST Nude silk chiffon with red thread circle embroidered...Category
20th Century Blouses
- Bill Blass for Neiman Marcus Brown/White Silk Chemise Dress NWT Plus Size 18By Bill Blass, Bill Blass for Neiman MarcusLocated in Palm Springs, CASuch a chic classic silk chemise designed by the late Bill Blass. NWT. (never worn) Purchased at Neiman Marcus Beverly Hills. Retailed for $2100. Rare ...Category
1990s American Chemise Dresses
- Bill Blass Pastel Cocktail Dress with Embroidered CageBy Bill BlassLocated in Alford, MABeautifully crafted Bill Blass two-layer dress, the main body a strapless sheath of repeating ribbon stripes in aqua, mint, beige and gray. Skimming over this is a sheer net sleevele...Category
Early 2000s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Little Black Lace DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Water Mill, NYVintage Bill Blass Lace Dress with Very Large Silk BowCategory
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1970's Bill Blass Rust Silk Asymmetrical Neckline Halter GownBy Bill BlassLocated in North Hollywood, CA1970's Bill Blass rust silk asymmetrical neckline halter gown. Straps connect and drape across back. Sleeveless gown with back zip closure.Category
1970s Evening Gowns
- 1970's Bill Blass Purple Silk Satin Asymmetrical One Shoulder GownBy Bill BlassLocated in North Hollywood, CA1970's Bill Blass purple silk satin asymmetrical gown. One-shoulder column gown with side zip closure and single spaghetti strap. Ruching at side creates beautiful drapery across the...Category
1970s Evening Gowns
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery