- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1993 Bill Blass Vintage Runway Dress in Iridescent Sage Green Silk w/ Ruffles
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: See Description (NA)Bust: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Portland, OR
- Reference Number:Seller: F23121stDibs: LU22321374453
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Portland, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Bill Blass Fall 2008 Platinum Jacquard Evening Bustier Dress Peter Som New w/tagBy Bill Blass, Peter SomLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful deadstock platinum multi wood bustier evening dress from Peter Som's Fall/Winter 2008 debut collection for Bill Blass. The overall effect of the fabric is that of...Category
Early 2000s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Black Silk Taffeta & Polka Dot Tulle Evening Gown w BeltBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis is a truly sensational vintage black evening gown designed by Bill Blass in the 1970's. This gorgeous dress has luscious layers of black dot netting over black silk taffeta. The...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- 1985 Bill Blass Vintage Runway Dress Abstract Black White Evening Gown DrapingBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis elegant Bill Blass designer vintage dress is from his 1985 collection and we think it's so fabulous! The long dress in in a stunning black and white abstract print. We love vin...Category
1980s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1970s Vintage Bill Blass Black Net & Lace Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORWe love this dress! This 1970's Bill Blass vintage black dress is made in a dotted net with lace and nude silk at the bodice. The dress has a hemline that is similar to a tulip hem e...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1970s Bill Blass Brown Circle Print Dress With Velvet RibbonBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful bronze circle print dress by Bill Blass purchased at Neiman Marcus in the 1970's. The elegant fabric has lovely textured star...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- Vintage Bill Blass Linen Little Black Evening Dress W Cutout Neckline & Low BackBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORVintage Bill Blass pieces are truly remarkable and we always grab them whenever we can! This amazing Bill Blass vintage black linen evening mini dress has a dramatic cutout design at...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- Haute Couture Cream Medieval Cathedral Train Wedding Gown - Small, 1930sLocated in Tucson, AZWithout question, one of the most exquisite bridal gowns we have ever seen. Despite its 4 ½’ cathedral train, it is lighter in weight than most gowns half its length thanks to its whisper-light silk chiffon fabric. And with billowing bishop sleeves, 60 bodice and hip darts and a 2-ply ruffled neckline it would be fit for Guinevere’s castle. Ivory wedding gown...Category
1930s Unknown Wedding Dresses
- Giorgio Armani Strapless White and Silver Lace GownBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Giorgio Armani Strapless white and silver lace gown with iridescent beads. Lace has beautiful silver grey embroidery. Perfect for bridal ...Category
1990s Italian Wedding Dresses
- White Hollywood Regency Illusion Wedding Gown with Cathedral Train - XS, 1930sLocated in Tucson, AZYou would be forgiven for thinking this is an uptight wedding gown because of its age and sleeves. Of course we would direct your attention to the transparent lace insets that discourage the use of underwear, and to the bias-cut liquid satin...Category
1930s American Wedding Dresses
- Jeanne Lanvin Light Yellow Duchesse Satin Strapless Elegant GownBy Jeanne LanvinLocated in Beverly Hills, CAElegant Jeanne Lanvin light yellow strapless silk gown. Fitted bodice. XS/0 Bust: 32" / Waist: 22" ****This garment has been professionally Dry ...Category
1950s French Wedding Dresses
- A French Evening Dress in Fibranne Early 1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1935/1940 France Astonishing indoor or evening coat dress in pink purple and yellow gold synthetic fibranne from the 1940s. Heavy and very fine fabric with an excellent "drop"...Category
1940s French Evening Dresses$1,303Free Shipping
- A Silver Lamé Evening Dress by Lucile Manguin - France Haute Couture Circa 1940By Lucile ManguinLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1940 France Sculptural silver lamé evening dress with a large oval neckline and small kimono sleeves by Lucile Manguin, member of the French haute couture union and daughter of the painter Fauve, dated 1938 - 1942. Amazing work of quilting with boutissé strands following the bust and flaring out at the bottom in accordion pleats. Provenance: Drouot sale "La mode dans l'art, modernité d'hier" Françoise Auguet, 9 June 1993, lot 160. From accession Musée de France, Institut Mode Méditerranée Maryline Vigouroux of February 11, 2021, study Cornette de Saint Cyr (Unique case in France). The silver lamé has some traces of oxidation. The general structural condition remains very good. Museum or collection piece, not wearable today. Dimensions: Equivalent size 38 France. Member of the Chambre syndicale de la Haute Couture française, Lucile Manguin, daughter of the famous Impressionist painter, set up her fashion house, in the carré d'or, at 12 Rue François 1er...Category
1940s French Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1940's Harry Cooper of Hollywood Ivory Sequin Chiffon Halter Bridal GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAEthereal Harry Cooper designer ivory-creme gown dating back to the 1940's Old Hollywood era of glamour. Definitely something Lana Turner or Veronica La...Category
1940s American Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1978 Bob Mackie for Mitzi Gaynor Documented Sequin Feather Dance CostumeBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Bob Mackie designed sequin illusion dance costume made for Mitzi Gaynor's 1978 television special "What's Hot, What's Not". She finds hers...Category
1970s American Wedding Dresses
- UNWORN Emilio Pucci Embroidered Silk Sequin Evening Kaftan Maxi Dress Gown 40By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Emilio Pucci Evening Gown Pièce unique - you will not see anybody else wearing this fantastic gown Rich silk fully embroidered with black sequins Lined with Pucci signature ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Gowns$2,999 Sale Price40% Off
- A Thierry Mugler Couture Evening Dress in Coral Silk Crepe Circa 1997/2002By Thierry Mugler Couture, Thierry MuglerLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1997/2002 France Beautiful evening dress by Thierry Mugler Haute Couture model 1P 2730 dating from the 2000s. Long dress in coral silk ...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses$1,496Free Shipping
- Fabulous Bill Blass Sz 6 1990s Black and White Crochet Vintage 90s Sheath DressBy Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CAFabulous 1990s BILL BLASS black and white ivory knee length sheath dress! White crepe body with hand embroidered black crochet overlay. Tailored bodice with a pencil fitting skirt. S...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses$971 Sale Price25% Off
- 1990s Bill Blass Vintage French Dove Gray Off Shoulder Silk Jersey Evening GownBy Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage 90s BILL BLASS off-the-shoulder Grecian evening dress! Perfect French Grey color compliments nearly any skin tone. Soft silk...Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- Bill Blass Pastel Cocktail Dress with Embroidered CageBy Bill BlassLocated in Alford, MABeautifully crafted Bill Blass two-layer dress, the main body a strapless sheath of repeating ribbon stripes in aqua, mint, beige and gray. Skimming over this is a sheer net sleevele...Category
Early 2000s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass black and off white Harlequin gown, 1994By Bill BlassLocated in West Palm Beach, FLElegant black and off white harlequin gown from Bill Blass, if only Truman was planning another soiree, this would certainly be worthy...Chantilly lace fitted bodice with long sleeve...Category
1990s American Evening Dresses
- 1990s Bill Blass Logo Mania White + Gold Vintage 90s Sweatshirt Dress MediumBy Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CAAwesome vintage 1990s BILL BLASS white and gold 'LOGO MANIA' embroidered cotton sweatshirt dress! Features the signature BB logo embroidered in gold above the bust. POCKETS at each s...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Bill Blass Size 16 Blue + White Nautical Plus Size Linen DressBy Bill BlassLocated in San Diego, CAChic vintage BILL BLASS Size 16 blue and white nautical long sleeved linen dress! Features the finest of Irish linens that is super soft and flattering. Beautiful shade of blue looks great on any skin tone. Fully lined. Hidden zipper up the back with hook-and-eye closure. Can easily be dressed up or down, belted or alone. In great unworn condition. Made in USA Marked Size US 16...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Frem Røjle, Hans OlsenLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Hermes Birkin 25 Jaune Poussin Togo Yellow Gold Hardware Bag Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Birkin 25 Jaune Poussin Pale Yellow Gold Hardware Bag Z Stamp, 2021 Brand New in Box. Store fresh. Pristine Condition (with plastic on hardware) Just purchased from Hermes sto...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Noviembre X Coffee Table in Burned Oak Wood, Coffee Table by Joel EscalonaBy Joel EscalonaLocated in Estado de Mexico CP, Estado de MexicoNoviembre X Coffee Table in Burned Oak Wood, Coffee Table by Joel Escalona The Noviembre collection is inspired by the creative values of Constantin Brancusi, a Romanian sculptor co...Category
2010s Mexican Organic Modern Center TablesMaterials
Oak, Wood, Hardwood
- Lady Dormore - A 16th Century Portrait of a key member of Shakespeare's EnglandLocated in London, GBLady Dormer, Mary Browne c. 1592 oil on panel 35 x 29 inches, unframed; 41 x 34.75 inches, inc. frame Inscribed 'Lady Dormore' Mary married Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton who gave birth to Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton - one of the great figures in Shakespears"s circle and founder of the Virginia company, developers of Virginia USA. Henry Wriothesley, born 6 October 1573 at Cowdray House, Sussex, was the only son of Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton, by Mary Browne, the only daughter of Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montague, and his first wife, Jane Radcliffe. He had two sisters, Jane, who died before 1573, and Mary (c. 1567 – 1607), who in June 1585 married Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour. After his father's death, Southampton's mother married firstly, on 2 May 1595, as his second wife, Sir Thomas Heneage (d. 17 October 1595), Vice-Chamberlain of the Household, and secondly, between 5 November 1598 and 31 January 1599, Sir William Hervey. She died in November 1607. Early life When his father died on 4 October 1581 Southampton inherited the earldom and landed income valued at £1097 6s per annum. His wardship and marriage were sold by the Queen to her kinsman, Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham, for £1000. According to Akrigg, Howard then "entered into some further agreement, of which no documentation can now be found, which transferred to Lord Burghley personally the custody and marriage of the young Earl, but left Howard holding his lands", and late in 1581 or early in 1582 Southampton, then eight years of age, came to live at Cecil House in the Strand. In October 1585, at age twelve, Southampton entered St John's College, Cambridge, graduating M.A. on 6 June 1589. His name was entered at the Gray's Inn legal society before he left the university, and he was admitted on 29 February 1588. On Southampton's 16th birthday, 6 October 1589, Lord Burghley noted Southampton's age in his diary, and by 1590 Burghley was negotiating with Southampton's grandfather, Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montague, and Southampton's mother, Mary, for a marriage between Southampton and Lord Burghley's eldest granddaughter, Elizabeth Vere, daughter of Burghley's daughter, Anne Cecil, and Edward de Vere...Category
16th Century Old Masters Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Armchair in Boucle Fabric Molteni&C by Gio Ponti D.154.2 - made in ItalyBy Molteni & C, Gio PontiLocated in New York, NYD.154.2 Lovechair in Bouclé Fabric by Gio Ponti. Expert-crafted in Italy exclusively by Molteni&C. The mid-century D.154.2 lovechair features a shell-like structure inspired by ren...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
BoucléFrom $8,600 / item
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery