2000s Jean Paul Gaultier Silk Dress Low Back
View Similar Items
2000s Jean Paul Gaultier Silk Dress Low Back
About the Manufacturer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- 1990s Masaki MatsushimaBy Masaki MatsushimaLocated in Austin, TXMasaki Matsushima grey wool dress, high slit. Condition: Excellent Made in Paris Size 2 / US 6Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns$1,800
- 1991 Dolce & Gabbana Mini Stretch Dress with Silk StrandsBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TX1991 Dolce & Gabbana mini stretch dress with long silk strands from the back. Buttons up front Condition: Excellent Size XS/ SmallCategory
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Gown with Open Back Balloon Sleeves JacketBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul Gaultier ClassiqueLocated in Austin, TXJean Paul Gaultier Classique black evening gown with stretch. With separate open back jacket with balloon sleeves. condition: excellent Silk & Acetate size m / US 6 33" bust, 25" w...Category
1990s Unknown Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Lacroix Floral Brocade Corseted Evening GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in Austin, TXChristian Lacroix Floral Brocade Corseted Strapless Evening Gown from the Late 1990's - Early 2000's Collection Concealed Zip Closure at Back Condition:...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Gowns
- Yves Saint Laurent Strapless GownLocated in Austin, TXYVES SAINT LAURENT STRAPLESS GOWN Lace accents and asymmetrical neckline. SZ US 2/ FR34 Bust 30", 24.5" waist, 38" hips, 55" length Condition: ExcellentCategory
1980s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Paco Rabanne Haute Couture yellow ostrich feather mini dress, ss 1967By Paco RabanneLocated in London, GB▪ Paco Rabanne Haute Couture mini dress ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Museum piece ▪ Constructed from a latticework or plexiglass, ostri...Category
1960s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano 'Dolores' cyclamen pink bias-cut satin evening dress, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano showpiece flamenco-style evening dress ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ 'Dolores', Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Constructed from cyclamen pink bias-cut hammered...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano 'Dolores' showpiece evening skirt suit, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano showpiece evening skirt suit ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ 'Dolores', Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Jacket constructed from Angora wool ▪ Voluminous ruffle...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Christian Dior by John Galliano black waxed cotton opera coat, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior opera coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Black waxed cotton ▪ Voluminous shape ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two ties at the back fasten to create a bustle ▪ F...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk spandex and leather lace up dress, ss 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana; black silk spandex figure hugging evening dress. - Lambskin leather grommet trim - Open on both sides with lace up fastenings - Invisible side zip closure ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery