- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Breathtaking Christian Dior Embellished Silk Chiffon Evening Gown Dress
- DimensionsMarked Size: FR 40 US 8 (EU)
- Place of OriginFrance
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Perfect condition, seems unworn.
- Seller LocationSwitzerland, CH
- Reference NumberSeller: CDBLKEMBGWN8401stDibs: LU41638369392
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Asymmetric Diorissimo Logo Print Dress FW 2000By Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Christian Dior Silk Dress Designed by John Galliano for the famous Fall/Winter 2000 Millenium collection Beautiful asymmetic design with ruches Layered upper chiffon silk in...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses$2,999 Sale Price25% Off
- UNWORN Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Mesh Knit Midi Dress Summer 2001 38By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHBreathtaking piece by John Galliano for Christian Dior From the famous Spring / Summer 2001 collection Fantastic black knit cutout dress with mesh fabric inbetween openings Simply sl...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses$899 Sale Price70% Off
- Black Christian Dior 3D Crochet Knit Ribbed Dress with Ruches Dior Logo Plate 40By Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHAn extremely luxurious and versatile CHRISTIAN DIOR classic signature piece that will last you for years Gorgeous, almost couture-like piece hand-crafted by the seamstresses ...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses$979 Sale Price45% Off
- NEW Christian Dior Belted Chiffon Silk Printed Tunic Kaftan Beach Pool Dress 40By Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHAmazing bright orange silk kaftan dress by Christian Dior Consisting of two pieces, dress and belt Finest chiffon silk Botanic print Batwing sleeves Simply slips on Metal plate "Dior...Category
2010s Kaftans$1,199 Sale Price20% Off
- UNWORN Christian Dior by John Galliano Deep Cleavage Laceup Silk Dress 34By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHThis dress is a variation of Goldie Hawn's Golden Globe Dress created exclusively by John Galliano An extremely luxurious and CHRISTIAN DIOR signature piece that will last you for y...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses$3,999 Sale Price20% Off
- NEW Dolce & Gabbana Black Corset Lace Evening Cocktail Dress 40By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Switzerland, CHGORGEOUS DOLCE & GABBANA BLACK CORSET LACE DRESS DETAILS: A DOLCE & GABBANA classic signature piece that will last you for years Made out of a fantastic material combinatio...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Dresses$1,999 Sale Price50% Off
You May Also Like
2010s Evening Gowns
1960s Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
20th Century Cocktail Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
1980s Mini Dress
2010s Evening Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery