A Christian Dior Haute Couture Evening Dress Numbered 218551 Circa 1959-1965
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Equivalent size 35/36 France. (EU)
- Style:1959-1965 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent Condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU633313578672
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Yves Saint Laurent Variation Blouse Dress in Printed Satin Circa 1990By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Iconic blouse dress in printed silk satin from the Variation line by Yves Saint Laurent and dating from the 1990s. Beautiful silk satin printed with stylized patte...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture set (attributed to) Circa 1989By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1989 France Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture skirt and blouse set in red silk crepe and print of black and white roses from the late 1980s. No label set. Silk crepe of the Abr...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- A Velvet Dress by Oscar de la Renta - USA Circa 1990By Oscar De La RentaLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 United States Beautiful evening or interior dress in black and crimson red velvet by the famous American designer Oscar de la Renta and dating from the 1990s. Obvious wink to the Hispanic culture! Loose fit with high waist pleated under the chest highlighted by a braid in black silk trimmings. Asymmetrical treatment by crossing in front, with zip closure and snaps. Beautiful sleeves with Kimono cut. Two side slit pockets. Claw indicating Oscar de la Renta USA, Saks Fifth Avenue of the famous New York...Category
1990s American Casual DressesFree Shipping
- A Berber Djellaba in Dyed Cochineal Embroidered Wool - North Africa Circa 1900Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1880- 1900 South Tunisia Rare Berber Djellaba or Djebba that I bought in Matmata at the doors of the desert and dating from the end of the 19th century. Sheep wool background woven on handloom and dyed from cochineal red to brick colour with colour variations. Traditional floche silk embroidery on the open collar, shoulders and sleeve opening with matching tassels. Small pink woolen bias on the rubbing parts. Plastron with very nice arabic-andalusian graphics. The 19th century North African pieces...Category
1890s Tunisian Caftans
- A Thierry Mugler Couture Evening Dress in Coral Silk Crepe Circa 1997/2002By Thierry Mugler Couture, Thierry MuglerLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1997/2002 France Beautiful evening dress by Thierry Mugler Haute Couture model 1P 2730 dating from the 2000s. Long dress in coral silk cre...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Jacques Griffe French Couture Evening Dress in Chiffon and Lace Circa 1958By Jacques GriffeLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1958/1960 France Jacques Griffe Haute Couture dress in cream guipure and fuschia organza muslin dating from the late 50s. Silhouette near the line Tonneau Balenciaga with its ...Category
1960s French Empire Waist Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana Red Wool Mini Dress Size 42By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Featuring crew neck line, 3/4 sleeves (measure 18.25 inches long), above the knee length and concealed rear zip closure.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dresses
- 1980s Scaasi Red and Black Cocktail DressBy Arnold ScaasiLocated in Toronto, OntarioBeautiful Scaasi cocktail dress from the 1980s. Red satin with allover black velvet flocked pattern creating the outlines of flowers. Off the shoulder with a sweetheart neckline and ...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Anonymous Red and Black Leaf Print GownLocated in Toronto, OntarioVintage 1970s romantic red and black leaf print silk jacquard gown. Features ruffle at bust, short, romantic sleeves, tie at nape of neck, slight drop waist and tiered skirt. Black u...Category
1970s Evening Gowns
- 1960's Mollie Parnis Romantic Red Gown with CapletBy Mollie ParnisLocated in Toronto, OntarioExquisite 1960's red chiffon hanky hem gown with matching capelet. Fitted through the bodice with spaghetti straps the dress is double layered, a feature that is accented by the irre...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1990's Myréne de Prémonville Rhinestone Studded Coral Chiffon DressLocated in Toronto, OntarioStunning early 1990's coral chiffon swing dress by Myréne de Prémonville, a designer well known in France for her couture quality clothing. She r...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Karl Lagerfeld Red Silk Floral DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Toronto, Ontario1990s Karl Lagerfeld dress. Red silk with distorted Blue, beige and green all over floral print. Sweetheart neckline with faux double breasted red buttons with KL engraved. Elbow len...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- X-Large Bubble Chandelier in Natural Cotton and Satin Brass by PelleBy Jean and Oliver PelleLocated in Brooklyn, NYEthereal and iconic, the bubble chandelier is a modern re-interpretation of the crystal chandelier. Its luminous constellation of delicate glass globes adds beauty and depth to any i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Seletti Sofa “Comfy”, Charcoal GreyBy SelettiLocated in Doral, FLFrom its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Cotton, Polyester, Wood
- HERMES Kelly 35 Crocodile Shiny Black BagBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRMAGNIFICENT Kelly 35 bag from the House of HERMES in shiny black porosus crocodile. The jewelry is gold plated. On each tab, inscription "HERMES Paris". It...Category
1940s French Top Handle Bags
- 1925s Art Deco 2 Carat Emeralds 2.20 Carat Diamonds Platinum RingLocated in Poitiers, FRRing in platinum. Sublime art deco ring, its entire platinum setting is closed set on its top with a Colombian emerald- cut emerald and an antique- cut diamond. This duo of gems is surmounted on either side by an antique brilliant- cut diamond. The basket is crossed by finely made arabesques as well as the start of the ring which is also set on either side with an antique brilliant- cut diamond. Weight of the main diamond: approximately 2 carats. Estimated quality: I / J VVS. Weight of the emerald: about 2 carats. Total weight of other diamonds: approximately 0.20 carat. Height: 12.5 mm, width: 16.5 mm, thickness: approximately 5.5 mm, width of the ring at the base: 2 mm. Total weight of the jewel: approximately 6.3 g. US Size : 6,5 ; Free resize, please contact us. Antique jewel - Work from the 1925s, Art Deco ring. Our opinion: A high quality setting made with perfection and 2 important and magnificent...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Platinum
- Optimism Painting I - acrylic on woodBy Stuart MöllerLocated in London, GBOptimism Painting I - acrylic & mixed media on wood, 2019 16 x 16" inches / 41 x 41 cm mint condition - original and unique piece. Stuart Möller, German and born in Kabul Afghanis...Category
2010s Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery