Christian Dior Paris Little Black Dress in Cashmere Silk Blend w Leather Ruffle
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 42 Dress has stretch (EU)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 28 in (71.12 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Portland, OR
- Reference Number:Seller: 220461stDibs: LU223212561552
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1980s Emanuel Ungaro Vintage Floral Dress 46/12 Sash ScarfBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Portland, ORThis great vintage late 1980's dress was designed by Emanuel Ungaro and bears the Ungaro Ter label. We love the gorgeous pink and cream floral print .This p...Category
1980s Hong Kong Day Dresses
- Deadstock Wayne Clark Couture Vintage Wool 1980s Dress New With Original TagsBy Wayne ClarkLocated in Portland, ORThis dress is very hard to capture in photographs, but it is a stunning vintage wool Wayne Clark dress with a full skirt and a cinched waist. The dress has buttons down the front an...Category
1980s Unknown Day Dresses
- 1970s Vintage Black Floral Chiffon 2 Pc Mini Or Long Dress w Tiers & RufflesLocated in Portland, ORThis is a vintage 1970's two piece sheer dress with tiers and ruffles! It has three tiers on top, and the hem tier is connected to a black slip that is separate from the top dress. ...Category
1970s American Day Dresses
- Lanvin 2013 Alber Elbaz Sleeveless Gray & Black Metallic Animal Print DressBy Lanvin Paris, Alber ElbazLocated in Portland, ORThis is such an incredible Lanvin cocktail dress designed by Alber Elbaz for his 2013 River collection. We love dresses like this one because it can be dressed up for dinner or worn ...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses
- 1970s Vintage Color Block Black Jersey Maxi Tank Dress W Long Sleeve BoleroLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a fun 2 piece vintage jersey maxi tank dress from the 1970's with a coordinating black stretch bolero jacket. The dress is in a black jersey with pretty inverted V color...Category
1970s Maxi Dresses
- 1980s Pierre Cardin Black Vintage Dress W Button Details Lined In SilkBy Pierre CardinLocated in Portland, ORThis is a vintage Pierre Cardin take on the little black dress! This black wool crepe shift dress has two rows of snaps crossing diagonally from the left shoulder and waist to the un...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Velvet Chain Strap Backless DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway- second photo is Kate Moss wearing the dress in Harpers Bazaar CONDITION: Good- The origi...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1999 Atelier Versace Runway Patent Leather Crystal Embellished Mini DressBy Atelier Versace, Donatella VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1999 Atelier Versace runway CONDITION: Good- no flaws! MATERIAL: Patent leather w...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- Late 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Couture Navy DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBAn iconic Yves Saint Laurent couture dress from the late 1980s. This dress features a peter pan collar with an overlaid Lavallière sty...Category
20th Century French Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery