Christian Dior printed chiffon long dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 63.78 in (162 cm)Bust: 32.29 in (82 cm)Waist: 27.56 in (70 cm)Hip: 39.38 in (100 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 7.49 in (19 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:100% silk Scarf 80% silk 20% turkey feathers Scarf: 240cm lenght 50cm large
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: 60231stDibs: LU2170211419362
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1960's evening gown embroidered top and ivory chiffon skirtLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR1960's evening gown with embroidered top and ivory chiffon skirt. Pale green ruban around the under-bust. Mix beads and rhinestone pale green and white on a cotton base.Category
1960s Unknown Evening Dresses
- Beige double-breasted sleeveless dress with gold metal buttons Chantal ThomassBy Chantal ThomassLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBeige double-breasted sleeveless dress with gold metal buttonsCategory
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Deconstructivist bustier evening dress Lanvin Haute-Couture by Claude MontanaBy Claude Montana, Lanvin ParisLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRDeconstructivist Bustier evening dress orange, yellow, green and ivory silk . Stiff white tulle part under the skirt to keep the asymmetrical shape (green part) SIZE SCategory
1990s French Evening Dresses
- Sleeveless cocktail dress with beaded work REDValentinoBy REDValentinoLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRSleeveless cocktail dress with beaded work. Double lays of fabric, the top lays is beaded and finish with a shiny fabric band. The embroide...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Beige chiffon and lace cocktail dress with attached bracelets ChloéBy ChloéLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBeige chiffon and lace cocktail dress with attached bracelets. SIZE 40 (M)Category
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1992 Dolce & Gabbana Bridal Wedding Gown Bustier Tulle Skirt Shrug SetBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: Extremely rare S/S 1992 Dolce & Gabbana bridal collection ensemble! Dolce & Gabbana only came out with their bridal collect...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- S/S 1992 Atelier Versace by Gianni Versace Strapless Bustier Mini DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1992 S/S Atelier Versace by Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- to just look at the dr...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Spring 2001 Silk Printed GownBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Prague, CZAs seen on the runway on Alek Wek and on Mariacarla Boscono on the campaign of the iconic Spring 2001 collection. 100% printed silk. Size Small, fits true t...Category
Early 2000s Maxi Dress
- Dolce & Gabbana Spring 1997 Silk DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Prague, CZOne of the most iconic Dolce & Gabbana garments. This gorgeous dress in 100% silk satin comes in Size IT 42 fits like S/M. Measurements (flat lay on one side): Across the chest -...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dior By John Galliano Spring 2006 Lace DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZA beautiful knitdress with lace detailing. Size FR 38, would fit sizes US 6 and 8 as it has some stretch to it. Excellent vintage condition.Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- Jean Claude Jitrois Beige and Taupe Maxi DressBy Jean Claude JitorisLocated in London, GBA Jean Claude Jitrois chiffon taupe maxi dress with a layer of beige leather fringing draped perpendicular across the bodice. The dress is sleeveless and features a curved wrap in th...Category
20th Century Maxi Dress
- X-Large Bubble Chandelier in Natural Cotton and Satin Brass by PelleBy Jean and Oliver PelleLocated in Brooklyn, NYEthereal and iconic, the bubble chandelier is a modern re-interpretation of the crystal chandelier. Its luminous constellation of delicate glass globes adds beauty and depth to any i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Seletti Sofa “Comfy”, Charcoal GreyBy SelettiLocated in Doral, FLFrom its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Cotton, Polyester, Wood
- HERMES Kelly 35 Crocodile Shiny Black BagBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRMAGNIFICENT Kelly 35 bag from the House of HERMES in shiny black porosus crocodile. The jewelry is gold plated. On each tab, inscription "HERMES Paris". It...Category
1940s French Top Handle Bags
- 1925s Art Deco 2 Carat Emeralds 2.20 Carat Diamonds Platinum RingLocated in Poitiers, FRRing in platinum. Sublime art deco ring, its entire platinum setting is closed set on its top with a Colombian emerald- cut emerald and an antique- cut diamond. This duo of gems is surmounted on either side by an antique brilliant- cut diamond. The basket is crossed by finely made arabesques as well as the start of the ring which is also set on either side with an antique brilliant- cut diamond. Weight of the main diamond: approximately 2 carats. Estimated quality: I / J VVS. Weight of the emerald: about 2 carats. Total weight of other diamonds: approximately 0.20 carat. Height: 12.5 mm, width: 16.5 mm, thickness: approximately 5.5 mm, width of the ring at the base: 2 mm. Total weight of the jewel: approximately 6.3 g. US Size : 6,5 ; Free resize, please contact us. Antique jewel - Work from the 1925s, Art Deco ring. Our opinion: A high quality setting made with perfection and 2 important and magnificent...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Platinum
- Optimism Painting I - acrylic on woodBy Stuart MöllerLocated in London, GBOptimism Painting I - acrylic & mixed media on wood, 2019 16 x 16" inches / 41 x 41 cm mint condition - original and unique piece. Stuart Möller, German and born in Kabul Afghanis...Category
2010s Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery